Asking for experience of those who've reversed IBD in cats....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
TuxedoDaddy
New Cat Chatter

Asking for experience of those who've reversed IBD in cats....

Post by TuxedoDaddy »

I was here about three years ago about this very same cat.
We have a senior male tuxedo cat named Finnigan. Over the past 15 years, he has chugged along through good times & bad. Last week he had a flare-up but seems to be recovering after pooping out a load of hairballs. He even seems more energetic than usual. For the first time in a while, he jumped up on the bed tonight without help.

It looks like we need three steps to build him back up-
Kill off whatever pathogens, whether parasites or fungi or yeast that so inflammed his bowels;
Remove the actual inflammation;
and healing & protecting his system from further inflammation, and restoring him to health, along with replenishing his intestinal lining.

We have our own products that are seeming to work well, but we'd like to see other things we might not be aware of.

Thanks!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Asking for experience of those who've reversed IBD in cats....

Post by Mollycat »

Sadly my one experience with possible IBD did not end well and we never knew if it was that or lymphoma or something else entirely. At first vitamin B injections worked for occasional flares, then they didn't work any more and we went to steroids, and in the end something else happened and we felt it was time to quit, he had had enough. The vet gave us a probiotic-prebiotic mix, Zoflora or something similar?? but that made him ill.

I'm just concerned about pooping hairballs though, see the post I made a while ago on this very subject
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8913
TuxedoDaddy
New Cat Chatter

Re: Asking for experience of those who've reversed IBD in cats....

Post by TuxedoDaddy »

Let me check with his Mom who dealt with the poop. Maybe the hairballs were in it & maybe those were seperate. I know he got lots of both out & has been a lot better lately.