Bad behaviour!! Should I split my two cats up?!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
KGustavson
Frequent Cat Chatter

Bad behaviour!! Should I split my two cats up?!

Post by KGustavson »

Hi all,
I have two rescue cats which I've had since April now, one boy and one girl, around 5 and 6 years old. They have never really got on and only tolerate each other, Leo the boy cat frequently picks on Tiggy, he chases her and pins her down and she hates it, she hisses and swipes at him! She's a very timid cat and only now let's us stroke her if we kneel down, preferably by her food bowl (!) and runs off if you try to approach her any other way. Leo is also spraying in the living room and Tiggy never sets foot in there, she always stays under the dining room table so we never really see her! There have also been a couple of instances of Leo pooing where he shouldn't be, once in the living room and twice in the bath!!! It's getting to the point where my husband is starting to regret ever getting them and I am also quite disappointed as were told that they had to be re-homed together and we weren't warned of any bad behaviour between them. I am now wondering if I should find a new home for Tiggy, I really do think she would be better on her own (more confident and less scared) and I think maybe it would stop Leo feeling the need to mark and poo where he shouldn't! Any advice on this would be most grateful!!
Many Thanks,
Kirsty
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Bad behaviour!! Should I split my two cats up?!

Post by bobbys girl »

Couple of questions - have they been neutered and why were you told they must be re-homed together? Did they come from the same home or is it that someone has had problems with one in the past and was trying a BOGOF to get rid of the problem?
It is hardly surprising that Tiggy is timid if Leo keeps beating her up!
KGustavson
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KGustavson »

Hi,
We got them from Cats Protection and were told that they were neutered/spayed. They have both been vet checked and I'm sure the vet would have told us if the that wasn't the case?!
Cats Protection advertised them a 'pair' and therefore they wanted them re-homed together. I did call them a couple of times shortly after adopting the cats about the fighting and Leo picking on Tiggy, but the lady seem very laid back about it and just said don't worry! She also said she never saw them fight!
They came to Cats Protection after their owner died suddenly, so unfortunately no one could tell us their history, i.e. had they always been together or had the previous owner adopted one of the cats shortly before passing away.
Kirsty
KGustavson
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by KGustavson »

I see you have 5 cats?!
Have you or do you experience any of the problems I'm facing, fighting, marking, inappropriate toilet behaviour?!!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Kirsty
I'm back! You ask if I have any problems with my cats. Well they all have their own distinct characters and some are certainly more bossy than others. There can be squabbles when one pinches another's favourite spot on the sofa. But on the whole it is relatively peaceful.
Grace can be a bit of a pain in the bum! 'I want to sit there', 'hey that's MY toy give it back'. Bobby plays her at her own game and can out-stare her - which she hates.
I do sometimes have problems with Purdy marking her territory. She is top cat and hates anything that threatens her status.
We have recently had a particularly mean Tom cat pay visits to the garden. He is a very attractive grey tabby, but a real xxxxxxx when it comes to other cats. (If I get my foot up his **** he could be the first cat in space!!!) I don't personally know his owner but I do know she has problems with him.
One day he got into the house and Purdy's response was to pee in every room AND on her favourite target - the microwave. :roll: As I type this, she is sitting beside me, waiting for me to go to bed so she can have my chair!
Yes, I have problems, we all do!
The lady from Cats Protection said she didn't SEE them fight. That does not mean that they got along. Leo's tendency to fight may have been subdued 'in care'. Now he is in a new home, he may want it all to himself.
Other members of CC may have better ideas - I would hope so for all your sakes. But I do think that by now the 2 of them should have come to some agreement.
If it were me, I would give it another couple of weeks, while I asked around for a new home for HIM. Being on the side of the underdog (or should that be cat?) I would keep Tiggy - she must be feeling very rejected already. Lord knows what another move might do to her.
I don't know if that has been of ANY help to you?
Let us know how you go on. Best wishes
Sue