Help!!!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Helplove
Returning Cat Chatter

Help!!!

Post by Helplove »

Hi everyone, I know this is going to be an unpopular post, but I am needing help so please remember that. I've always been a cat lover and had cats as a child and 2 as an adult, our current cat is causing us a lot of stress and I need some suggestions. He is almost 2 and we've had him since he was a kitten, from the moment he went outside he has been catching mice or birds daily, collars with bells on he either loses or in the case of the one he has on at the moment, which he has had for monthe now, he still manages to catch prey roughly every other day, I know that's what cats do, but I'm cleaning up the remains of dead animals from our patio all the time, today he left one in our daughter's toy. Also he is constantly meaowing for food, when he has some food he then cleans himself and sits at the cupboard meowing for more. He also gets on the worktop trying to eat our food at every opportunity, he isn't very affectionate and we feel like we are keeping him to feed him and clear up his prey. I'll admit that we have thought about rehoming him but that isn't what we want to teach our daughter.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Help!!!

Post by fjm »

First, the constant hunger - does he need worming, perhaps? If he is wormed regularly, and there is nothing physically wrong to explain his appetite (it would be worth getting blood tests done when you can) I think I would free feed him, feeding wet food morning and evening and leaving a bowl of dry down all the time. If he is hunting from hunger that may also reduce the depredations on the local wild life. If he is simply a dedicated hunter perhaps setting up a specific spot for him to devour his kill may help - many cats prefer eating on a soft surface, so a couple of cheap doormats than can be easily hosed down may make it all less stressful.
Helplove
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Helplove »

Thank you jfm, he is wormed regularly at the vets and he was tested about 6 months ago for a thyroid condition, I have also tried more expensive higher protein cat food but it made no difference, he is the weight he should be, and we have tried putting a bowl of cat biscuits down in the morning with his first bowl of wet food, with the intention of it lasting all day, but he ate them all at once every time.

That's interesting about the wet area to eat the prey, we've had to throw a few doormats out as they got to the point where they were beyond help, so now we don't have one at all, but a few cheap ones away from the door would be a good idea as we can't see what's on the doorstep until we open the door and our daughter goes flying out and straight into the carcass 😫 thank you for your help. Actually thinking about it perhaps a timed feeder might work?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

A timed feeder sounds like an excellent idea - he may be so focussed on waiting for it to open that he forgets about hunting! Perhaps "random" times for opening, so it holds the same fascination as a mouse hole.
Helplove
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Helplove »

That's a good idea, or it could be that he needs a regular time for being fed, due to working he doesn't have a set time every day for breakfast lunch or dinner, hopefully we can find out just what he needs! Regarding the collar, I always thought they were fool proof, that a cat wouldn't be able to catch anything with one with a bell on it?!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Helplove wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:07 pm That's a good idea, or it could be that he needs a regular time for being fed, due to working he doesn't have a set time every day for breakfast lunch or dinner, hopefully we can find out just what he needs! Regarding the collar, I always thought they were fool proof, that a cat wouldn't be able to catch anything with one with a bell on it?!
No a cat is an ambush predator that sneaks up as close as it can before pouncing. By the time it breaks cover and the prey spots it, the bell won't make any difference. If you have the honour of watching them get into position it's amazing, as little of their body moves as possible, a bell wouldn't jingle. And the way they freeze when they could be spotted? You wouldn't think how well it could work but watch this and be amazed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up-_UVC8Hok
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

You might also want to consider some of the specialty feeders that slow the cat's eating down, or turn it into more of a hunting game in itself.

He also does sound rather like my lad, an avid hunter and constantly looking for food, we can't leave anything on the side as he will be up to see if he can eat it, even dirty plates are placed upside down in the washing up bowl if they aren't going to be washed straight away to stop him licking them clean (he does get to lick most clean anyway when we have finished a meal) but we don't want to encourage him onto the side. He knows he shouldn't be on the side, but when he is caught in the act he just gives me that 'Yeah, whatever' look as he get down, no remorse or guilt at having been caught.

Earlier this year we had our bathroom redone, I told the plumber that I wanted everything boxed in and no nooks or crannies where a mouse could hide. He seemed rather bemused by it, but it was done, all the pipework is hidden in the walls. The other day, at one in the morning, I was really glad of the design as I ended up chasing a mouse around it that my lad had brought in and hadn't killed. He is now 5 years old and due to a medical condition is almost toothless, it hasn't stopped him hunting, but I think he has more problem killing them now.

Unfortunately it is part of owning a cat, you can try and limit it but unless you keep them inside all the time you are unlikely to end it entirely. If your lad has a specific time for hunting you might be able to use that to help limit it, a good play session chasing a toy then some food and hopefully he will sleep for a bit and then feel it isn't the right time to go out hunting when he wakes. I have also heard people say that putting two or even three tiny bells on a collar can be more effective than just one, but as it has to be a quick release collar there is always the chance that he will learn to pull it off and that will just end up costing more.

No easy answer I'm afraid, but i will say that no one here will be upset about your post and think less of you for it. We all understand what it is like to have a hunter about and know it is one of the more unpleasant sides to owning a cat. I think we all would rather they didn't hunt, but know that there is only so much that can be done to stop them.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

My Misha only brought in one dead critter in 16 years and it was a field mouse that she left on the floor next to my bed ... the morning after I got back from hospital with my arm in plaster. The most touching gesture and thoughtful gift ever. I had to be careful where I disposed of it so as not to hurt her feelings if she found it again and was offended that I didn't eat it!

But Henry was forever bringing in his live toys, some were releaseable, others had to be relieved of their suffering - he didn't care, he carried on playing with them even when they didn't play any more. Definitely a risk of sharing life with cats.
Helplove
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Helplove »

Thank you everyone and for not making me feel like a bad cat Mum 😊 I've taken everything on board and will try out a few suggestions over the next few weeks 😊
Helplove
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Helplove »

Mollycat wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:08 pm My Misha only brought in one dead critter in 16 years and it was a field mouse that she left on the floor next to my bed ... the morning after I got back from hospital with my arm in plaster. The most touching gesture and thoughtful gift ever. I had to be careful where I disposed of it so as not to hurt her feelings if she found it again and was offended that I didn't eat it!

But Henry was forever bringing in his live toys, some were releaseable, others had to be relieved of their suffering - he didn't care, he carried on playing with them even when they didn't play any more. Definitely a risk of sharing life with cats.

Yes at least I can be thankful that he hasn't brought anything in, I think if we had a cat flap though he definitely would! They are such interesting animals, I once lived with a friend and her cat and always got on well with him but one day we had an argument and the cat did a poo in my shoe!😆
Helplove
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Helplove »

Ruth B wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:34 pm You might also want to consider some of the specialty feeders that slow the cat's eating down, or turn it into more of a hunting game in itself.

He also does sound rather like my lad, an avid hunter and constantly looking for food, we can't leave anything on the side as he will be up to see if he can eat it, even dirty plates are placed upside down in the washing up bowl if they aren't going to be washed straight away to stop him licking them clean (he does get to lick most clean anyway when we have finished a meal) but we don't want to encourage him onto the side. He knows he shouldn't be on the side, but when he is caught in the act he just gives me that 'Yeah, whatever' look as he get down, no remorse or guilt at having been caught.

Earlier this year we had our bathroom redone, I told the plumber that I wanted everything boxed in and no nooks or crannies where a mouse could hide. He seemed rather bemused by it, but it was done, all the pipework is hidden in the walls. The other day, at one in the morning, I was really glad of the design as I ended up chasing a mouse around it that my lad had brought in and hadn't killed. He is now 5 years old and due to a medical condition is almost toothless, it hasn't stopped him hunting, but I think he has more problem killing them now.

Unfortunately it is part of owning a cat, you can try and limit it but unless you keep them inside all the time you are unlikely to end it entirely. If your lad has a specific time for hunting you might be able to use that to help limit it, a good play session chasing a toy then some food and hopefully he will sleep for a bit and then feel it isn't the right time to go out hunting when he wakes. I have also heard people say that putting two or even three tiny bells on a collar can be more effective than just one, but as it has to be a quick release collar there is always the chance that he will learn to pull it off and that will just end up costing more.

No easy answer I'm afraid, but i will say that no one here will be upset about your post and think less of you for it. We all understand what it is like to have a hunter about and know it is one of the more unpleasant sides to owning a cat. I think we all would rather they didn't hunt, but know that there is only so much that can be done to stop them.
I haven't seen a speciality feeder like that, do you know where I can get one from? And I will attempt to put another bell on his collar, this collar is the only one that's lasted more than 3 days!
Helplove
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Helplove »

Mollycat wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:52 pm
Helplove wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:07 pm That's a good idea, or it could be that he needs a regular time for being fed, due to working he doesn't have a set time every day for breakfast lunch or dinner, hopefully we can find out just what he needs! Regarding the collar, I always thought they were fool proof, that a cat wouldn't be able to catch anything with one with a bell on it?!
No a cat is an ambush predator that sneaks up as close as it can before pouncing. By the time it breaks cover and the prey spots it, the bell won't make any difference. If you have the honour of watching them get into position it's amazing, as little of their body moves as possible, a bell wouldn't jingle. And the way they freeze when they could be spotted? You wouldn't think how well it could work but watch this and be amazed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up-_UVC8Hok
That's a great video! They are amazing, I do watch him chat to birds, that's fascinating, I wonder whay they're saying?! 😆
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

If you do a search on Amazon for 'cat feeder toy' you will have several come up, examples are
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PetSafe-Food-D ... 161&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Catit-51282-Tr ... 161&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-A ... NrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slow-Feeder-Do ... 4f2e1370d4

They should also be available at pet stores, but proabably the choice would be more limited.

Looking at them you might think they were just designed to frustrate a hungry cat, but in the end that is what the mouse is doing when the cat is trying to catch it, making it work for it's food. From experience, I can say that a cat rolling a plastic ball around on laminate flooring to get the dried food out does make a lot of noise during the night, but did keep him amused for a time.