Kitten drank pure orange juice.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Runnyeggs
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Kitten drank pure orange juice.

Post by Runnyeggs »

:?

Okay so I was drinking some pure OJ. Just fancied it. My 10 week old kitten came up to me, curious, like she is. She sniffs my cup. I tell her "no" and "you wont like it". Nope, she's definitely after it. She has water in her bowl so no reason to be thirsty.

She is half - Bengal and very vocal. She yells and yells at me.

I dip my finger in the pure OJ and she licks it off. She loves it.

This kitten also loves Rocket/arugula and baked beans!

After she had had a few (maybe 3 finger dips) licks, it suddenly occurs to me that cats really dont like OJ and that something might be up. I look online and see OJ is toxic for cats. :shock:

She is purring away right now but I am freaking out also. Anyone else have a weird cat that likes salad and oranges??

Help!!!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kitten drank pure orange juice.

Post by Mollycat »

Orange is really unusual, usually they recoil from it. Same with bananas although some do like the smell.

I know someone whose dog eats all fruits and vegetables and his favourite is oranges. Ours drinks coffee, yes we know it's toxic but it's just a little and we understand the risk.

I had a cat that ate raisins if they had been softened by baking into a cake. She also ate peas and would get her head into any cup-a-soup left unattended. I think she tried orange juice once but didn't like it. I've had others that ate toast, beetroot, mashed potato, sponge cake, mackerel in tomato sauce, pizza crust, marshmallow and even toffee.

Trouble is they tell you things are toxic but don't differentiate between mild stomach upset or very little occasionally or some cats don't tolerate foods, and the slightest trace will kill them foods. I think from my list above only peas and beetroot are halfway suitable really.

Even chocolate, there is chocolate and chocolate! My dog weighs 18kg and he could eat his own weight in white chocolate without any serious effect (other than maybe exploding) but as little as 20g of bitter dark chocolate would be worth a vet call.

Oh and some cats will accept lettuce if there is no grass available. Mine, of course, won't, but some do.

Anyway, from what I'm reading 3 finger dips of OJ once in a while shouldn't be dangerous.
Runnyeggs
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Runnyeggs »

Oh okay.

Thank you. :)

This kitten also loves peas but I've read elsewhere that some cats do like them so didn't really think much of it.

I read that cats with Siamese pedigree in them can sometimes like orange juice (dont know if there is any truth in it.)

So. I own a salad loving, orange juice sipping (I wojt give her anymore just to be on the safe side!) boujee kitten!

Oh yeah. We do have a garden but I havent taken her outside just yet.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I think you may have a point there with levels of issues, Lucy regularly eats things that are toxic but is 12 and relatively fine - I am glad she can no longer jump on the worktop, I can at least easily prevent her these days, but her food aggression is severe enough she will draw blood if you refuse, today's obsession was my Tofurkey. Christmas is horrendous, she doesn't care which nationality, she adores Christmas cake, she has even eaten through tin foil to get at it :o I also rarely eat Chinese food as she draws blood to get that off your fork. The thing that works with her is being left a small amount.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

And then there's the dairy debate, OMG NEVER give a cat milk it's bad for them ... even my vet raised an eyebrow when we told her Madam loves cheese, yoghurt and ice cream. Many don't tolerate it and get an upset tummy. Many don't like it. For the ones that do like it and tolerate it, there's no reason why they can't have a modest amount.

Molly is an indoor cat and she needs and eats a LOT of grass. I try to grow it for her but sometimes I don't have any so I pick some and bring it in for her. If I forget, Molly greets me at the door with big wide eyes and one paw raised and I swear I hear her say, Come on then, where is it?? So I obediently go back down two flights of stairs and walk around looking for just the right handful to pick for Her Ladyship.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I've picked grass for a few cats over the years and got puzzled looks! Lucy has a plant pot at the sude8of the front door which looks awful but she loves it! She enjoys dairy too. Oh, and who ever said cats dont have a sweet tooth hasn't met Lucy, she will take cake out of your handbag and munch on half frozen scones and hot cross buns!