My Simba diagnosed with oral cancer

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Steve70
New Cat Chatter

My Simba diagnosed with oral cancer

Post by Steve70 »

Hi all

My Simba (video link posted below) has been diagnosed with oral cancer. He will be 10 years this August. He started displaying a change in eating habits a few weeks ago so took him to the vet asap. He was put on cortisone and for the 1.5 weeks until he had surgery, he appeared to respond well to the medication. The vet said he had no further growth of the tumor and it appeared to look a little better. Anyway we went ahead with the surgery just thsi past Saturday so as to do a biopsy. The vet said the operation went well and he was able to remove most if not all the of the ulcer under his tongue. The results of the biopsy have come back with invasive cancer.

I really feel we got this very early. However I am aware it is a poor prognosis for cats with this kind of cancer. Even so, the only real change Simba has displayed is a change in his diet. He still looks very healthy, happy and energetic.

I will be continuing to give Simba whatever treatment the vet advises when I speak with him on Wednesday. But I want to ask if there is any alternative supplement or something that anyone knows is helpful with cats that have oral cancer.

Any advice is much appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nIBkTbe9_g
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: My Simba diagnosed with oral cancer

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear that. I assume it's a Squamous cell carcinoma, if so, Metacam can help, it's a Cox2 inhibitor and helpful with SCC.
Steve70
New Cat Chatter

Post by Steve70 »

Thanks Booktigger will definitely look into this.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Just want to say I'm so sorry and really send my very best wishes to you and Simba. Sounds like you have caught it early and with you and your vet reacting so quickly, he has the best chance of making a good recovery from surgery and having more quality time ahead of him.

Like you I did a fair bit of reading on the subject, in our Henry's case it was way too late. He was 14 and in the prime of life, he lost a little weight but nothing dramatic and then one day he came in looking as though he'd been hit by a car - only he hadn't. We had no time to think, and no options. My reading was just to confirm we had done right by him and reassure me in my terrible guilt.

Wishing you and Simba the best possible outcome, a speedy recovery and a long and healthy life ahead.
Steve70
New Cat Chatter

Post by Steve70 »

Our beautiful Persian Simba 10 years of age and 10 years of wonderful joy with this precious boy just passed away yesterday 28 December 2020 peacefully surrounded by his loving parents. He had been battling oral cancer for seven months and three weeks (diagnosed on 7 May 2020) defying the odds of his apparent life expectancy. We're devastated he is gone but truly believe the Lord answered our prayers to either heal him or take him. One moment he was peacefully lying there and showing signs of appreciating the love being given to him by us and left the room for just a few moments and returned to see he had passed. Thank you for your supportive posts.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

So sorry ... may Simba be purring in the Light now. Sending love to you and your family at this time.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

I'm so sorry for you, but hopefully he got to enjoy a last Christmas with you, I do wonder if they pick up all the excitement before hand and then it is almost a case of them knowing that it is over for this year and they can go peacefully.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm sorry to hear this, RIP little one
DexterKUlrich
New Cat Chatter

Post by DexterKUlrich »

My sincerest condolences.