Hector after his first vaccination and microchip

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
poppygreen
Returning Cat Chatter

Hector after his first vaccination and microchip

Post by poppygreen »

Hi all,

hope you are all well.
Hector had his first visit to the vet this morning. We weren't allowed in, so we waited in the car, but the vet said he behaved very well.

Unfortunately she said he has fleas dirt which I'm not sure how as he is barely 8 weeks and never went out, but she just suggested we applied the anti-flea once back home which we did.

A part from that he is good. He has his first vaccination done and microchip and this is because he will be a outdoor/indoor cat.

He seemed superfine both ways in the car, he seemed very entertained looking at the window from his carrier (3 mins car journey) and was happy and playful once we came back home, but now, a couple of hours after vaccination he seems very distress, he randomly cries and wont let us touch his leg. he cant seem to be finding a comfortable position so he keeps on tossing around.

I read that it's normal as potentially he had the shot in his leg and so the area is potentially sore. also he might have a small reaction to the shot and feeling sleepy and dizzy but i'm not sure when and where to draw the line and contact the vet. Any suggestion?

Thank you :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Hector after his first vaccination and microchip

Post by booktigger »

How long have you had him? Normally kitten vaccs aren't started till 9 weeks old, unless he seems very lethargic and floppy, I'd give him 24 hours before ringing the vet
poppygreen
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by poppygreen »

booktigger wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:31 pm How long have you had him? Normally kitten vaccs aren't started till 9 weeks old, unless he seems very lethargic and floppy, I'd give him 24 hours before ringing the vet
Hi,

i mentioned to the vet that i wasn't sure on his age. I got him 1 week and half ago and i was told he was 8 weeks, but after looking at him properly i thought no way he is 8 weeks, so i called the same day the vet and they suggested to wait a week for vaccination which was today. She said they established he is defo less than 12 weeks, on the edge between 8 and 9, so i suppose if they did it they knew what they were doing, hopefully.

im not sure about floppy as he wont let him pick him up, he meows at me so i;m just letting him sleep next to me, i just put two small treats next him which he ate and just went back to sleep. i just checked the kitten starter pack and he had 2 shots done, FeLV and Tricat Trio. he seems to go a lot into REM sleep, as he seems to be chasing something. he is fine breathing
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Sounds like poor Hector just got an extra lot of shots! There's just one date on his vax record though, right? Initial vax are done 3 weeks apart, then annual boosters. I should ring your vet and ask what to do next.

I just googled and it doesn't look as though it should harm him but best to let the vet know and as above ask how to proceed from here.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

That sounds a normal set of vaccines, trio is the cat flu vaccine and then the felv
poppygreen
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by poppygreen »

HI all,

i called the vet yesterday and they reassured me that it was normal for Hector to be like this for at least 48 hours.

He did eat last night but not too much and then went back to sleep straight away.
Today is an happy boy all over again, even too much ahhaha. He woke us up at 5 am in a play/cuddle mood jumping around. i was so relieved that i couldn't go back to sleep and i made him a lovely breakfast, with his chicken dry food for kittens (provided by the vet), a little bit of milk for kittens and 2 small treats bits.

Although i have always had cats in my al life this is the first time i only have one. My last two cats i had a couple of years ago were sisters and they spent all the time with each other sleeping and cuddling so i didn't really notice any difference after the vaccines as they were looking for comforting each other, i was a marginal figure in the picture ahhah.

Thank you for your advises