CKD / Diet dry

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Molly85
New Cat Chatter

CKD / Diet dry

Post by Molly85 »

Hi, I got a rescue cat 6 weeks ago and found out he has CKD. I was wondering if you guys knew if i could feed him Purina One 7+ although it's not renal? The protein is within the renal range though. He seems to love it and i don't want to change if it's not necessary to avoid any upset and him refusing to eat. He point blank refuses wet food. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: CKD / Diet dry

Post by Mollycat »

A lot depends on the stage of CKD and his age and general health as to how hard you want to try to persuade him to eat renal food really. It's better for him to eat dry than nothing and better to eat non-renal food than nothing. I had a cat diagnosed very early at 8 years old who went on to have a further normal healthy happy 8 years on Hills renal dry as that's all there was back then.

You might find this helpful http://www.felinecrf.org/index.htm
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: CKD / Diet dry

Post by booktigger »

I would definitely try and change to a renal dry, one of my CKD cats didn't like wet food, I changed her dry to renal and her values went back into normal range in 3 months. If he likes Purina, they do a renal diet, NF, I get the wet for Lucy from vet UK,