Strange behaviour of bereaved cat.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Strange behaviour of bereaved cat.

Post by Grace56 »

Hello...I am new to this site and happy to be amongst other cat lovers. But I need some advice please.
My niece had three cats, two females and one male. Sadly, one of the girls was knocked down and killed two weeks ago. We were all (and still are) utterly devastated as it was such a shock.
However, her sister is grieving and displaying very strange behaviour. (Her brother saw the body of his sister and seems fine....Banshee did not)
Banshee is calling for her sister a lot...which we can understand. However, she is very reluctant to walk across the floor in the house. She leaps from table to work top to mantle to chair, sofa window sill. She scoots across the floors like a race horse on speed. She is also reluctant to eat from her dish on the floor and seems to prefer her food dish up high.
As my niece doesn't want cats to eat on work surfaces, this is a bit of a problem, but with encouragement and a gentle stroke, she will eat in her designated area.
But the reluctance to spend much time on the floors is baffling.
Could this be Banshee's way of showing her grief and upset at loss of her sister? I have used Feliway spray to help calm Banshee at night. And a sprinkle of catnip which she loves.
Banshee is eating, and loves to lay or sit on me and 'tread' and is still affectionate and loving. But I wait for her to initiate cuddles and fuss as I don't want to re-enforce her odd behaviour if I can avoid it.
I and my niece would be grateful for any advice.
Thank you. :)
I should also add that Banshee is washing excessively as well.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Strange behaviour of bereaved cat.

Post by bobbys girl »

First of all welcome to CC!
It does sound as though the little girl is missing her sister. I'm not sure about the aversion to being on the floor. I don't understand her thinking there. But the washing may be a distraction for her. You say she likes cat nip. Perhaps you could use that as encouragement that the floor is not such a bad place after all. We have a cat mint plant (in a tub high on the wall as Purdy would eat the lot!) We use it when there has been a spat between cats. A piece each at opposite sides of the garden and they all just chill in their own way.
Just before we found Bobby another cat had made her way to us. Lily, as we called her appeared from nowhere. As her eyes still had a hint of blue, she must not have been that old. No one claimed her and as the others accepted her, she stayed. We arranged to have her spayed and it was then we discovered that she was pregnant (only just). The op went ahead. A short while later my other half found Bob and bought him home. Lily adopted the little man, so much so that she produced milk for him (the power of hormones is amazing). They were inseparable and we thought they would be buddies for life.
One day Lily disappeared. We searched everywhere - no sign. Bobby sat in the window for hours every day crying for his mum. It was heart-breaking. Since then he has latched on to me, hence my user name. But I don't mind that one bit!
Apart from the crying, our biggest worry with him was he kept wandering off to look for his mum. We had to be very vigilant keeping an eye on him. This all lasted about 6 weeks. He is fine now and has formed a new bond with our other boy Thomas.
It may take a few more weeks for her to get this out of her system. Lots of love and a little distraction should do the trick.
Hugs to you and fusses to Banshee and her brother
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

She's probably looking for him, maybe trying to pick up bits of his scent.

When I lost one of my cats last year the others were looking everywhere, inside cupboards, in sheds etc. I also lost one the previous year and the others spent hours on the top of the sheds looking out for him.

It's heartbreaking for them and you, but after a while they settle down.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Thank you, Bobby's Girl and Mr Frisky, for your replies and advice. :) Yes, it is heartbreaking to see Banshee looking for Stormy and crying for her. It's one of the worst things in a multi-cat household when one of them dies.
Louie, the boy is being very manly and stiff-upper-whiskery :) but I think in his own way, he misses his big sister as well.
I'd like to be able to explain to the driver who killed poor Stormy what heartbreak and sadness he has brought to my nieces house.
Thank you again, folks. ((Hugs))
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Just to let you know, I have ordered some Zyklene (I think that's what it's called) for Banshee and possibly the stray I am adopting. I'd never heard of it until I joined CC. It has good reviews on Amazon so we shall see. :)