New rescue cat screaming all night and racing around kitchen

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
rosielx
New Cat Chatter

New rescue cat screaming all night and racing around kitchen

Post by rosielx »

I'm an experienced cat owner and have always had rescue cats. I currently have two older rescue cats adopted 3 and 4 years ago who are a neutered female and neutered male who get along. Yesterday we adopted a nearly three year old female cat from rescue. Timid and hiding away but comes out for a fuss and purrs sometimes. Have shut her in our kitchen dining room and moved the other cats food.

Problem - cat was fine all day but meowing started at 8pm last night and the cat ended up screaming literally all night. Kitchen tap on this morning and everything knocked over. Cat hiding but still purring. Our own cats moved outside for the evening. I was up all night but didn't go into see the cat as help pages said to ignore it and not reinforce behaviour. I have ordered a feliway friends plug in which will be delivered today and have fussed cat for a few minutes but then she hid. I will put on talk radio tonight to leave the cat with some human noises.

Question - How do I manage the screaming night time cat? It's a female moggy who was neutered less than a month ago after having kittens which sadly passed away. If this continues for weeks on end the cat will have to go back into rescue if I can't get her to settle.
Last edited by rosielx on Wed May 13, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: New rescue cat screaming all night and racing around kitchen

Post by booktigger »

I've had this with some foster cats and my own, the only fix was to stop confining them to one room, but obviously that brings other issues, especially trying to integrate her with yours
rosielx
New Cat Chatter

Re: New rescue cat screaming all night and racing around kitchen

Post by rosielx »

Thank you. I don't think that's possible yet as she's still very stressed. I will let her have access to more rooms once she comes out a little more. My own two cats spent last night outside. One has disappeared again after seeing her. The other is asleep on the bed. Our cats have always slept in our kitchen diner because the male is a jiffle bum.