Increased litter box usage - three weeks/three trips to the vet

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
davidvaldezmfa
New Cat Chatter

Increased litter box usage - three weeks/three trips to the vet

Post by davidvaldezmfa »

Background: Julius is neutered. There is one other cat in the house, Floyd. Both approaching 5 years old in August 2020. On S/O and C/D wet foods, twice daily. He has had FCI before and has cleared up within a week.

Beginning: Starting Saturday, April 25, 2020 noticed increased litter box trips. Sometimes 6-7 times an hour. Little bit of urine being passed each time. We also noticed him trying to mark the screen enclosure by the pool, so thought it may be stress from outside stray cats. I have also started to work from home during the pandemic since mid-March, but my partner always works from home, so he should be used to at least one person home all the time. That’s the only change in schedule we’ve observed.

—Vet trip Monday, April 27: FCI, urinalysis no infection, no blockage. Prescribed prazocin (.5 mg 2x daily) and buprenorphine (.3 mg 2x daily).

Finished buprenorphine. After a few good days, increased visits to the litter box started again.

—Vet trip Sunday, May 10: FCI, no blockage. Gave antibiotic injection to cover infection just in case. Subcutaneous fluids administered. Administered 3-day onsior prescription. Continued prazocin.

We added a litter box, and decreased amount of outside time by the pool area (screen enclosure). After a few good days, increased visits to the litter box started again.

—Vet trip Wednesday, May 13: Subcutaneous fluids administered. Prazocin (1mg 2x daily) and gabapentin (100 mg 3x daily, but we have been giving every 24 hours or so).

A few really good days on this medication. Monday, May 18 had a bout of litter box trips, then a large diarrhea. Called vet and side effects for both, so maybe increased litter box frequency was stress about diarrhea. Gave gabapentin for first time that day, settled out/napped. Later in the evening, frequency to litter box increased again.

Morning of Tuesday, May 19 increased litter box trips after breakfast. Gave prazocin and gabapentin and settled out around 9:30 a.m. Currently napping.

A few final observations: 1.) Overnights seem to be fine, even when gabapentin was given earlier in the day. 2.) It seems like whenever he has a decent sized urine after being knocked out for a while (gabapentin, or overnight), that event is what triggers the frequent trips with less sizable urine. 3.) His appetite seems to have increased on these medications. 4.) The visits to the litter box are less “I need to go to the bathroom” and more of an obsession with going through the motions. It makes us think this is behavioral, but unable to find a cause. Hunger? Stray cats outside? 5.) He otherwise is interested in playing, purrs, eats and drinks normally (if not increased appetite), everything is otherwise normal except for these bouts of litter box obsessions.

We just don’t know what to do! Thanks for the consideration.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Increased litter box usage - three weeks/three trips to the vet

Post by Mollycat »

You don't mention blood tests, have you had any? I know he's young but with mysterious issues like this I'd be tempted to have a full panel blood screen to rule out anything like diabetes, hyperthyroidism, kidney issues etc. It doesn't sound like territory issues if the trips are mostly to the litter tray, but some kind of pain when he urinates for some reason can often cause them to pee in or near water.
davidvaldezmfa
New Cat Chatter

Post by davidvaldezmfa »

Great question! The blood work came out fine, within normal range. Results are attached.
Attachments
Blood test results
Blood test results
davidvaldezmfa
New Cat Chatter

Post by davidvaldezmfa »

As of today, we've had 4 or 5 really good days: only one or two visits to the litter box per day, good size urination, not obsessed with the box, and minimal licking.

We are still on the gabapentin (.5mg 2x daily) and prazocin (1mg 1x daily).

We also increased the amount of food he is able to eat. Instead of strictly feeding him twice a day (wet moderate calorie c/d), we have allowed him to graze. This makes me think he was hungry and the behavior stemmed from stress. Have you ever heard of cats getting stressed out from hunger, and thus frequently visiting the litter box? I'm no behaviorist, but trying to find an explanation. :)
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I wouldn't put it past them. Not quite the same but my Molly has all kinds of issues from her past and the early years with me were a sharp learning curve and a lot more grey hair for me. She was extremely nervous and had lots of strange anxiety triggers, including she needed to inspect anything new in the house including groceries and anywhere I had cleaned or moved things, and if I didn't give her plenty of time and space to do that she would regress badly.

One of her issues was a food obsession, possibly because she was an only cat and came into a home with a resident cat who made it clear from day one that she was to share beds, trays, food bowls etc. But she would rush to the food bowls every time he went there. He was a steady grazer, she would also eat, not everything but enough that I had to put more down to make sure he didn't run out. He couldn't be transitioned to meals, she couldn't get the hang of "always enough available" and because of this she ballooned. I tried everything. In the end it was microchip feeders each and a calorie reduced food for her. It was a little bit more complicated than that but her anxiety level would shoot through the roof any time there was no food available in the bowls, she just showed it by squeaking at me, hiding, hissing and running away instead of overgrooming or litter issues.

Must admit I have always been a great believer in free feeding as mentally balanced and physically healthy cats ought to be able to regulate their own food intake if they don't get too many unhealthy treats. And I couldn't deal with a cat hovering and squawking for an hour before every meal time. I'm much happier giving leftover cat food to the dog! And other than Molly when she had her problems all my cats have always managed their weight really well without me.

Cautiously hoping you have turned the corner, is the plan to reduce the meds gradually eventually?