Grumpy Cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
lulu83
New Cat Chatter

Grumpy Cat

Post by lulu83 »

Hi there,
I'm after a bit of advice.
I moved home 6 weeks ago with my 7 cats. We have moved from a 1 bed flat to a 3 bed house.
They all seem to be settling in and loving all the new extra room with there big cattery out the back.
However, one of my male cats has began hissing at the other cats when they approach him. If one of the other cats is walking in his direction, he begins to growl and hiss, sometimes he tries to swipe them and then he will run away. He is fine with us, and still comes for lots of fuss. He has lived with the other cats all his life, he is 12.
Is he unhappy :( or could it be that he is trying to be top of the hierarchy in a new territory. They are indoor cats, they only go out in the cattery, but not free to roam.
pls help
Many thanks
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Grumpy Cat

Post by Grace56 »

Hi Lulu,
I think perhaps your little fella is stressed with the move and finding himself in a bigger environment. Also, even the friendliest cats can exhibit hostile behaviour towards each other after a move or other changes.
It's all the strange new smells on the other cats which upsets them. When I moved into my brothers house a few years ago, before I came to EA, my sibling cats, who were inseparable, hated the sight of each other and hissed and spat at one another. It was the smells of the new area on each other and stress of moving which they hated. They soon settled down with lots of cuddles, strokes and bags of understanding.
Perhaps some Feliway may help him, sprayed in his bed, cattery, and around the house. Or better still, an infuser plug in. Keep to a routine as much as you can, as cats like today to be like yesterday, and tomorrow to be like today. :)
I hope the little boy settles down soon. But I think with time, patience and lots of TLC, he should do.

Best wishes to you, and pats and strokes to your boy and his mates. Let us know how it all goes.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Lulu,
I think Grace is right. Sometimes they settle straight away, sometimes it takes a little longer.
I wish you ALL much happiness in your new home.
lulu83
New Cat Chatter

Post by lulu83 »

Thank u for that!
I did have a Feliway plug in, and plugged it in as soon as we arrived at the new home. It ran out about 3 weeks ago. I will purchase a refill, and look into a spray as well.
He is getting lots of love, I was a bit worried that giving him fuss after he had a mardy was encourageing him to do it more. But yesterday I gave him lots of love and fuss and he seems a little better today.
I have 7 cats and they have all been different with the move. 2 of them loved it as soon as I let them out of the cat box, I had one that didn't come out of the bedroom for 4 days, and now my lil grumpy man.
I just want my happy lil moggie bk. I'm sure we'll get there. x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

You will. I moved my six in January, and it took about five months before everybody was really settled and happy again. Some just settled in no problem, but Merrick was very hissy and swipey, and was the last to really explore outside, even though he'd been the most outdoorsy at the old house. He also took to sitting on my lap every evening, which I'm rather missing now he's gone all independent again! :D