Day old kitten fell downstairs, is it okay?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
PleaseHelp
New Cat Chatter

Day old kitten fell downstairs, is it okay?

Post by PleaseHelp »

So my cat gave birth yesterday to five kittens and everything was fine. About half an hour ago she started running from her lil cat nest up the attic stairs with one of her kittens. She seemed really panicked and in her confusion she dropped it whilst she was on the attic stairs and it bounced off a cat tower and onto the floor. The kitten seems okay but is there any way I can check if it is hurt?
We moved the kittens into the attic in a box and the mother was with them. She was panting heavily like she was when she was giving birth and I don’t know if she’s okay.
I could really use some advice right now, our vets have been unavailable because it was a bank holiday yesterday and someone else is currently trying to contact the emergency vets but it’s a long process. Thank you thank you thank you in advance
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Day old kitten fell downstairs, is it okay?

Post by Ruth B »

As you have already realised she and the kitten would be best of seeing a vet to make sure everything is alright. The only experience i have of cats giving birth is from watching livestreams put out by rescues, but i have learnt that mother cats do often pant for anything up to a few days after giving birth, it is a way of helping all the organs get back into place after they were pushed around by the growing kittens, so hopefully her panting is nothing more than that. However like i said she needs to see a vet just to make sure she isn't having any contractions still which could indicate a serious problem such as a retained placenta. Hopefully the kitten is also fine, at that young they are fairly bouncy, but again it is wise to get it checked out by a professional.