Is cd food good for cat that gets bladder stones

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Is cd food good for cat that gets bladder stones

Post by Nettybags »

Hello all ,
My Thomas is over his op to get rid of bladder stones . It is his second surgery for them but has been on renal food for past kidney problems . ( all caused by drug reaction )
My vet called today and said that the stones are calcium oxalate and I should try him on CD stress food . Can anyone offer any advice please ?
He's a real pain hates wet food !!

Thanks xx
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Is cd food good for cat that gets bladder stones

Post by Jan »

Happy to hear Thomas is well after his op, Nettybags.

Do you mean the Hills c/d stress diet?
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Hi jan ,
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply my internet hasn't been working .. Yes vet has said to try cd stress food . They have given me sample pack to try and want to run more blood tests in a month . He had calcium oxalate ...I would appreciate any advice ?
He's back to his lovely cheeky self .

Thanks Netty x
Jan
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Jan »

Hello again Netty

Have only just seen your message so sorry for delay in replying.

I was also given a trial pack of the Hills c/d stress diet for Blackie's Idiopathic cystitis which they told me is best for a cat whose problem is caused by stress alone (he has no stones or crystals). However, this particular food is also supposed to be beneficial for a cat that does have a tendency to form stones so I've read.

Did the vet also suggest adding water to his food to keep his bladder flushed through? Blackie is also on Cystophan which I think was in order to give Blackie additional bladder support after he suffered his 2nd bout of cystitis in 2nd week of June.

The cynic in me did wonder whether the vet recommended the Hills food because they sell it - though I don't buy it from them because I can get it cheaper from Viovet (an online supplier I would highly recommend).

Unfortunately Blackie seems to have some kind of allergy at the moment and is scratching his fur off both sides of his neck. The vet has told me its not due to fleas etc, and some posters here have suggested he may have developed a cereal intolerance due to the Hills diet - though this can't be proved until a blood test is done.

Hope this helps.

Pleased to read that Thomas is thriving.

Jan x
Nettybags
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Nettybags »

Hi Jan ,
Thank you for replying my husband always tells me my vet plans there holidays on the cost of Toms visits lol ...he really likes the cd stress food but is having a mixture of wet and dry . ( if he does have some dry he gets constipated ) But my other cat Kitty is being a madam and refusing to eat it .
Both my cats are indoor and have noticed since I've changed the diet the litter tray smells odd ?? They have two litter trays that are changed regularly .
I really hope Blackie feels better soon .

Netty x