9 week old kittens with loose stools

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
FakeFrowns
New Cat Chatter

9 week old kittens with loose stools

Post by FakeFrowns »

Hi
I brought my kittens home last Friday and for the first day they had normal poops then Saturday morning they started becoming looser and have carried on being loose ever since. I thought they were getting better yesterday but they're back to being looser again today. They're not full on liquid stools, just mushy. I couldn't get specific feeding instructions from the person I got them from so have most likely suddenly changed their food to Whiskas kitten wet and dry food. I've been feeding them half a pouch of wet food each twice a day and gradually increased the dry food from sprinkled on top to them being able to free feed. They're both still very active, eating and drinking very well. I'm just wondering if it is just because of the change in food and water, how long might it take to resolve? I'm just wondering if I need to get them into the vets sooner rather than later. They have an appointment for their vaccinations early next week. I've weighted them today and plan on weighing them again on Friday just to make sure they're gaining weight okay. I guess i'm just looking for a bit of reassurance. These are my first kittens of my own!
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Re: 9 week old kittens with loose stools

Post by elastu »

Are you giving the little ones any milk, as that often gives them loose motions? Otherwise you could try a bland diet, something like chicken and pasta blended? Or just ring your vet for advice.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Whiskas isn't the best you could always try a different food? Not very helpful of the person you got them from not to tell you what they were on before really. Or try a little half spoon of stewed sugar-free pumpkin if they will take it, that's supposed to help though I've never had any when needed to try it!
FakeFrowns
New Cat Chatter

Post by FakeFrowns »

Thank you for the replies. If they're still loose in the morning i'll buy some supplies to try your suggestions. I tried them with some whiskas milk kitten treats yesterday but I shall cut them out for the moment until their tummies settle. I haven't given them any milk either.

In terms of food in general, what would people recommend instead of whiskas? I usually do my food shop at Tesco and have a Pets at Home near by too.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Sorry I wrote in a rush and messed up. My personal suspiciousness of Whiskas, most of my cats have not accepted it or have had terrible smelling wind and poops on it. Also not sure if changing food again suddenly would be a good idea, I seem to remember my kitten (30-odd years ago) switched suddenly and the problem was gone immediately - to a food that's no longer on the market, Arthurs. If it is the switch rather than the food upsetting their tummies that would make it worse again. So difficult to know what to do! I think quite a few of us are fans of Felix good as it looks, for the relatively high protein content. Butchers is a decent grain-free. Both easily available.