Constant litter tray visits

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Scottishbird
New Cat Chatter

Constant litter tray visits

Post by Scottishbird »

We have just given a home to a 11 month old male cat.
He has been with us for four days so I know it takes a while but I’m concerned about his litter tray habits. He is going in and out the tray doing tiny wees constantly....every ten minutes or so. After three days he has now started to urinate in another corner on the floor. He cries a lot...even when we are giving him attention.
I do understand it can take a while for a re homed cat to settle down but am just looking for any advice . I’m pretty sure he hasn’t got cystitis as when he is upstairs away from the tray he can go for a couple of hours without using the tray....it’s only when he comes downstairs that it starts up.
Is there anything I can do to stop this behaviour or do I just have to sit it out until he settles in?
I’d be really grateful for any advice!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Constant litter tray visits

Post by Mollycat »

This is not normal and I wouldn't just sit it out waiting for him to settle. Maybe he goes upstairs when he feels ok and comes down specially to be near the tray because he keeps feeling the urge!

I would talk to whoever you got him from about it and make a call to your own vet. Bladder issues can become serious and/or chronic and I would definitely want to discuss it with a vet.
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

I think you need to consult a vet as soon as possible rather than wait and see if the situation improves. Please let us know how you get on.
susand
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by susand »

This sounds like urinary retention, which is a medical emergency and can lead to renal failure quite quickly if left untreated. I agree with the other posters, an urgent visit to the vet is best.
Scottishbird
New Cat Chatter

Post by Scottishbird »

Thank you so much everyone for taking time to reply, I really appreciate it.
I,ve made a call to the vet and am going to chat to them over the phone to see if they feel I should bring him in . Will update when I know more!