Anyone good at comparing nutrition in wet cat food?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Anyone good at comparing nutrition in wet cat food?

Post by Mollycat »

I have been there stressing and stressing over the details.

If that is all she is allowed then at least you're not trying to make decisions and choices, just really checking that it's good enough and if she will eat it and it doesn't upset her triaditis then all good - isn't it?

Moisture should be around 80% and then how the rest of the matter is measured varies. Some will then say protein 9% 12% etc so that is 9% or 12% of the whole food including moisture. Others measure dry matter, so 10% in wet food with 80% moisture is 50% protein out of all the dry matter only.

I found this when I was researching for Molly that might be helpful if you want to go more in-depth http://dels.nas.edu/resources/static-as ... _final.pdf
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I have also been there, concocting and sourcing perfect foods that the animal they were meant for refused to eat (the others would have gobbled it, given half a chance...). If the RC is on your vet's permitted list and she likes it I would thank heaven for something she could eat and leave worries about perfect nutrition for when she is rather better.

I have used the RC prescription foods for dogs very successfully - the sensitivity one short term for digestive problems, and the hepatic food long term, supplementing it with extra chicken and egg as Poppy really needs a higher level of protein. That might be an option for your cat down the line, but I would stick with what works for now.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you could try Miamor pate -same consistency as Gourmet pate but better quality

as a rule of thumb I check out the recommended daily allowance, as the cheaper stuff with the fillers are more than the better, meatier, stuff - Gourmet pate is 3-4 tins whereas Miamor is 2-3 tins - both makes are 85gms

this is even truer of dry food - the recommended daily allowance of the grain free Wild Freedom, which is the only food my Penny will eat, is 45-50 gms daily, whereas for Purina, to choose one at random, it's around 70gms

this is why the better foods don't always work out much more expensive than supermarket brands than first appears