Will rehoming one of my two cats stop one cat from spraying?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
nojobro
New Cat Chatter

Will rehoming one of my two cats stop one cat from spraying?

Post by nojobro »

I have 2 male, neutered cats. They are 9 and 5 years old, respectively. For the past four years the younger one has been spraying. it is definitely spraying behavior. He has been checked by a vet.

Mostly he sprays on towels or cloth and for a while this was managed by careful attention to where we left items. Also we have tried pheromone dispensers and collars. I feel like they were useful to a degree, but formulas seem to have changed and now they have odors detectable to humans added in and I can't tolerate them. It causes migraines.

But the other day he sprayed on a towel on the kitchen counter and of course because it's spraying it got all over the fruit bowl and sugar bowl and countertop.

My brother has been looking for a cat and so i asked him if he'd like to take one of mine - the one that doesn't spray - thinking that without the other cat in the home the spraying will stop. Might this work? Or will I just have one less pet, **** off kids, and a cat spraying on my kitchen counter?

Note: our community does not allow cats to roam freely and it is very rare to see another cat outside. Also my cats stay indoors.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Will rehoming one of my two cats stop one cat from spraying?

Post by Mollycat »

Maybe, maybe not. Ironically (because cats love irony) if you keep the sprayer he may continue because he still smells his own marking and because it has become habit. If rehomed he may stop, but he may not. Unfortunately there are no guarantees. But if it is the other cat that is upsetting him then it could stop him if the other cat is rehomed. I'm surprised you have been able to cope for this long!
nojobro
New Cat Chatter

Post by nojobro »

I've only coped this long because of my kids. My older one is particularly attached. But peeing.on the kitchen counter was the last straw. Said child is 21 and not living at home. I'm done, and she can visit at her uncle's!
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having trouble with inappropriate spraying. If you haven’t already seen Cat Chat’s ‘Cat Soiling or Spraying Indoors’ advice page, the information there might help:

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-t ... ay-indoors
Meghan
New Cat Chatter

Post by Meghan »

Hi, to the OP, what ended up happening with your cats? I’m in a similar boat and would appreciate finding out if you came to a solution…thanks!