Best Flea Treatments [UK]

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
dtmark
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Best Flea Treatments [UK]

Post by dtmark »

Our cat has a bit of a flea infestation.

She's always itching and when I comb through her (semi-long) fur, the comb ends up with fleas on it especially around the neck and tail areas.

Which then jump off and bite me. My arm is covered in bites.

We picked up on this a couple of months ago and have tried two different "spot on" type treatments - confident we got them on the skin - and also those type of "explosive canisters" which you let off and quickly vacate the room for a couple of hours to do all the rooms.

These appear to have done nothing whatsoever.

It isn't bad enough for her to have become "scabby", for her and to us, it appears just an irritation, but we need to try to nip this in the bud.

No other pets.

We just don't seem to be able to get rid of this.

Can anyone recommend a combination of treatments for her, and for the house, which worked for you?
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Best Flea Treatments [UK]

Post by MarkB »

For the house, things like Indorex or Acclaim are the best things. The foggers don't really get into the places fleas live & lay eggs. You need to spray around skirting etc. I don't know about Acclaim, but Indorex apparently contains something that prevents eggs hatching. Obviously you need to follow safety instructions re keeping pets & people of of the room for x hours.

We moved into our house over 9 years ago in January, as soon as the weather got mild, we had a flea infestation. I can only assume it was from the previous owner's cat. We treated the house once with Indorex and haven't had a problem since. Obviously I treat the cats - mainly in the summer (I don't do it monthly in the winter)