Dirty Stop Out Cat - please advise

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
berniebabe
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 5

Dirty Stop Out Cat - please advise

Post by berniebabe »

Hello fellow cat fans

I am long time (20 years plus) multi cat owner (currently at 5.....). I have always preferred to keep my cats home at night and as such have experienced very little problem in getting them to come home as I ve kind of 'trained' them to do so.

However about a month to six weeks ago, my naughty neutered ginger boy stopped coming home and refuses to come in, often not returning until I m up getting ready for work the next morning.

I don t understand the reason for this dramatic change in behaviour and I ve tried a few things :
giving him a treat every time he does come back
keeping him in if he does happen to return early, often from 3 or 4 in the afternoon
kept him in the house all the time for a period of over ten days, in fact he s just back from four days in the cattery, he was alright for the first day or two but stayed out again last night :cry:
He seems very affectionate when he does come in, please any helpful hints and advice gratefully received as I m having sleepless nights worrying about him.......
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Dirty Stop Out Cat - please advise

Post by KittyWitty »

How is his relationship with the other cats?

Definitely sounds like he is avoiding something or someone in your house.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Dirty Stop Out Cat - please advise

Post by Grace56 »

Cats are a worry at times, aren't they? Especially when they stay out all night and refuse to come in. However, perhaps he just loves the warmer, shorter nights of summer. I know my nieces boy, Louie likes to stay out at night in summer. This used to worry us a bit, but, since she moved to a new house with a cat flap, he can come home later for his breakfast...or throughout the night.
Have you got a cat flap? If not...it may be an idea to consider installing one, then at least you know your ginger boy can come home when he's done chasing moths, and having nocturnal fun. :)

Good luck. Let us know how things go.