Pyelonephritis (Bacterial Infection of the Kidney)

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SpudMuffin
Returning Cat Chatter

Pyelonephritis (Bacterial Infection of the Kidney)

Post by SpudMuffin »

We have an adult cat that came up missing on Wednesday. After looking for hours, he had curled up in a hidden corner of our basement. When I found him he was somewhat unresponsive and when I went to pick him up he screamed in pain. He had a distended bladder and we rushed him t the vet. The vet gave him a tranquilizer and he passed several clots. He called us today and said he was doing better and emptying his bladder without assistance and that he would recuperate better at home.

After being home for 7 hours, he has gotten up to try walking once and was incontinent while walking. He also is staring a lot and quite unresponsive to any stimulus. I am wondering, since the vet isn't answering calls now, is this normal for recuperation?

The vet gave us antibiotics and energy paste to feed him. Is there anything else we should be doing with him?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Pyelonephritis (Bacterial Infection of the Kidney)

Post by Mollycat »

I don't know but I would be back on the phone to the out of hours emergency service.
SpudMuffin
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by SpudMuffin »

Called the vet. He started eating last night and has been eating and drinking well today. This morning he isn't incontinent and he is more alert and is walking around... but He is also having random seizures. The vet said that it happens but they should subside as he gets better. Anybody ever had their cats have seizures after this?
SpudMuffin
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by SpudMuffin »

He was improving until yesterday afternoon. He is having seizers at the rate of 3 an hour. The intensity of the seizures has increased significantly. He is now vocalizing during them. The vet says that the infection has reached his brain. He said we could give him a shot of antibiotics to supplement what he is taking orally. He wants to discuss options.

Opinions?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

SpudMuffin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:20 pm He was improving until yesterday afternoon. He is having seizers at the rate of 3 an hour. The intensity of the seizures has increased significantly. He is now vocalizing during them. The vet says that the infection has reached his brain. He said we could give him a shot of antibiotics to supplement what he is taking orally. He wants to discuss options.

Opinions?
I think you need to try some strong antibiotics to try and get the infection under control
SpudMuffin
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by SpudMuffin »

Unfortunately, the meds and the phenobarbital has not worked. He has gotten progressively worse. His seizures increased and their intensity and vocalization have been unbearable. He has chewed his tongue so bad that he is unable to drink. After a discussion with the vet, I have decided to overdose him on his phenobarbital. Gave him 5 tablets. He should fall asleep and pass on. That is my hope for him, as well as for my children who have been up for almost 3 days straight.
SpudMuffin
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by SpudMuffin »

His name is Bobby. I am an old veteran. Most of my life I disliked cats. However, Bobby has my heart... It is truly a sad day for our family.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

So sorry Spudmuffin.

I have not commented much as I was in a similar place less than a year ago and I hoped quietly that your story would have the happy ending that mine didn't. We never got a diagnosis, I called time much earlier because of other problems we couldn't solve. The strangest thing - mine was Bobby too.

I hope your Bobby's passing is peaceful and that your heart and mind can be peaceful too.

They say we all have that one animal in a lifetime that is part of our soul, who takes a piece of us with them.
SpudMuffin
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by SpudMuffin »

Yes, Bobby was special and is already missed. Since he was a bigger cat the "overdose" was not significant enough and we had to take him to the vet to finish. The vet was very good with my girls. My youngest was still holding out hope that there was some miracle the vet could perform. But he said.. "It's time to let Bobby rest" and she understood. We all shed a tear and thanked God for the opportunity we had to have him. God bless and have a good night.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry, it is never easy to say goodbye, even when we know it is the best and kindest thing. Is it your daughters' first experience of such a loss? I hope the last minutes at the vets were swift and gentle, and that you can all take comfort from knowing he is no longer in pain.
SpudMuffin
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by SpudMuffin »

We have a hobby farm. So, we have had a few animal deaths. My oldest girl asked "Why does Bobby's death bother me more than the other animals?" I told her it is because Bobby wasn't a farm animal but was a part of our home. He slept at our feet and on our laps and was around us most of the day. Thank you for your support.