Still can’t find food cat will eat!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Raych1975
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Still can’t find food cat will eat!

Post by Raych1975 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:03 pm

This is so so hard. She won’t eat gourmet so i have to admit i’ve been trying her with others, sheba and Felix agail. She sometimes has a lick of gravy/jelly but then walks off but has now got bit of upset tum. No surprise when i’m trying to get her to eat.
The text book is chicken or boiled fish but she won’t touch it! Im making her worse by trying to help her!!!
I’ve got the cosma soups in zooplus trolley fjm but not bought yet

Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:09 pm

Raych, can you remind me what her symptoms were please?

Did you ever give her Dreamies?

Raych1975
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Raych1975 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Hi mollycat, she has triaditis.
Her symptoms are at present just not liking food, she is defo hungry but i could write a huge list id what she doesnt like or wont eat. I am meant to give hydrolised dry, lets not go there... i could write a book! After 3 months of all types of dry including hydrolised the main denominator is rice so i have now given a bit of dry grain free but she wants wet food for brekky and din.
Meds are currently liquid steroids, very interesting to administer lol
I may need to fire up laptop to explain everything to type it easier, hard on mobile.
Yes i did used to give her dreamies. She loves them, why u ask?
Funnily enough i spoke to my friends vet recently and she mentioned dreamies caused a huge problem with a cat

Raych1975
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Raych1975 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:40 pm

Something of real interest is she is often bile/grass sick very very early in mornings. I said to vet could it be she hungry overnight altho she has dry food.Vet said no she just poorly.
I started to put more food out as i went to bed including rubbish wet brand and grain free dry, so far no grass bile vomit in morning which makes me think her belly was empty or its grains
I’m not a vet i know but i am the one living the situation with my girls
I have tried single protein, real food, all kinds, they are v fussy on texture too!

Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:43 pm

Yes I remember she has triaditis, I was wondering on the particular symptoms. Does she have very foul smelling orangey-yellowy loose stools?

Molly had some kind of crash that involved yellow diarrhoea and vomiting plus seriously dramatic sudden weight loss, lethargy, etc. Tests revealed hyperthyroidism but ALT was more elevated than it should have been for that plus high bilirubin. Vet said it was unconnected, I beg to differ. Yellow squits and upchucks are liver issues and unprocessed bilirubin causes yellow stuff. She was treated for the hyperthyroid in April 19 but the yellowy orangey superstinky semi-formed poops persisted until early this year, when finally we had more hard dark ones than these awful ones.

She got clear but reason for asking is, she has recently started to approach my partner for treats and due to her timid nature and past traumas it's a case of anything goes that she wants to use to make friends. So she's been getting a lot more than usual this week and guess what, the very distinctive stink is back, the smell even lingers on her and in the room.

Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:55 pm

Google is revealing quite a few cases of severe diarrhoea linked to Dreamies!

And worse https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R1OSYSTP1MGSNQ
https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/the_litter ... g-him-sick

Raych1975
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Raych1975 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:32 am

I think when she had yellowy poo was when she was on the dry hydrolised food, my other cats poo went a bit like it too. I think its a bit looser now due to trying food with her. I just need to find what she will eat. I could be wrong as part of her triaditis includes liver so the whole thing could be connected to just illness
The vomiting in morning, is clear liquid full of grass.
Thats interesting and scary read re dreamies! One vet said one lady pinpointed her cats illness (ibd i think) to just dreamies!
I rarely give them now

fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by fjm » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:58 am

Poppy-dog has liver failure, and I am struggling with soft and liquid yellowish poos. But she is also a gannet, and scavenges anything she can, and has been on steroids for six months now, so exactly what is causing what is difficult to establish. I am giving her a dab of diarrhoea paste with every meal, which seems to be helping - probably not much use to you as your cat does not want to eat, but Poppy accepts it as a treat. Her constant search for scraps of anything edible (up to and including raw pea pods and pickled gherkins) is wearing, but easier to manage than anorexia.

Tilly-cat, meanwhile, is turning up her nose at the renal food and bringing home voles to eat instead. Then complaining vociferously if the bowl is not sitting there with fresh renal food exactly at the moment she feels like sampling it... Long term health conditions play merry hell with fixed regular mealtimes...

Raych1975
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Raych1975 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:51 am

Sorry you are having similar issues
How quickly will a cat usually react to food that doesn’t agree with them with the rear end?
She not eaten a thing today. Getting Bit worried tbh

fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by fjm » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:04 am

In my experience 2-24 hours, but allergic symptoms could build up over time.

Does she like Lik-e-lix? I got Tilly to start eating again by smearing a little over wet food.

Raych1975
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Raych1975 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:15 pm

I just put some of that licky stuff on wet food, she licked it off then left food 🙄
She defo has an appetite she just doesn't like any food. Then the more i try, it upsets her tummy
I wish she Could understand i’m trying to help her....

Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:13 am

Is she picking up on your anxiety around her food, maybe?

Raych1975
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Raych1975 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:44 am

It possible yes i guess
I have ditched the hills zd dry now as neither girls were touching it.
The liquid steroid is a bit entertaining as she plays with syringe when putting it in mouth!, tricky to get it in