Adult cat bad toilet behaviour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
PotatoRaptor
New Cat Chatter

Adult cat bad toilet behaviour

Post by PotatoRaptor »

Hi everyone
I'm at my wits end with my one year old neutered male cat. In the space of 2 weeks he's gone from perfectly toilet trained to being a complete poo bandit.
His food has not changed. His litter has not changed. His living environment has not changed - no furniture has moved or any new pets introduced (or old pets left). He has had checkups from the vet with no issues, is up to date on his flea, working and jabs.

He has now pooed:
On the rug ( three times)
In the hay bin (twice)
On the cat bed (once)
In the laundry basket (once)

He seems to favour soft fabrics which of course is the least useful place he could pick! I would love to hear any advice or experienced people have had.
Felis-Felidae
Frequent Cat Chatter

Re: Adult cat bad toilet behaviour

Post by Felis-Felidae »

Quite a pickle, particularly if you've truly eliminated all of the possibilities.

Is there a chance that there's something "just beyond your gaze", so to speak? I have a friend whose adult cat suddenly began urinating outside of the litterbox for no apparent reason either... until they discovered from the neighbour's CCTV that there was a bobcat making occasional trips to their yard.

It may not be a bobcat in your case, of course :lol: But the things that trouble them aren't always easily detectable to humans.
PotatoRaptor
New Cat Chatter

Post by PotatoRaptor »

Thanks for replying!
I was thinking it must be something psychological that I'm not picking up on. The only thing I could think of is that I'm spending more time shut in a room now I'm working from home - do cats act up with separation anxiety?
Felis-Felidae
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Felis-Felidae »

I believe so -- I have one that develops curious attacks of stress-induced gastritis whenever we're apart for more than 20 or so hours. Hence, this cat has now been grafted semi-permanently to my shoulder and lap.

That being said, I have to admit I've never had a cat that acted as you described. Still, best to try to eliminate potential factors/causes one by one, right? ;)

So, would it be unreasonable to let the cat into the room while you work?

And to have a different vet do a full physical workup on the cat to see if there's anything the others might have missed?
PotatoRaptor
New Cat Chatter

Post by PotatoRaptor »

I have let him in a few times. He's a Siamese - very loud and pushy so he makes video calls interesting! Otherwise I can work with him around. Maybe I'll try that for a week, see if he stood making dirty protests.
Felis-Felidae
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Felis-Felidae »

Lol, I have one of those as well, so I understand.

In case you don't have one in your study yet, by the way, you may also consider setting up a litter box in there.

And then, if that doesn't work, I think I would also try using a significantly different litter in 1-2 test litter boxes, to see if he'll use that.

Because you mentioned that he prefers soft surfaces for his... er... protests :D It suggests that he's still seeking something into which he could potentially dig or even bring up "covering material", as he would with litter. Ergo, it wouldn't hurt to see if a different type of litter would help.

At any rate, best of luck! If anything changes for the better, I hope you'll let us know here too.