Washing my cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
piririot
New Cat Chatter

Washing my cat

Post by piririot »

My cat managed to get fleas and I have treated him with both Frontline and Advocate. He is stil licking himself and scratching, so the vet suggested to was him in case he has dirt on him. I have never washed him before and was wondering if it is safe to use mild baby wash ? Thanks in advance.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Washing my cat

Post by Jacks »

I don't know if the ph is right with Johnson's baby shampoo but you can get cat shampoo on Amazon or Pets at Home, etc. It does suggest rinsing afterwards.
piririot
New Cat Chatter

Post by piririot »

Thanks. Yes, I have ordered some kitten shampoo for him. It wont be an easy task :)
I just wanted to do it asap and have baby shampoo at home and thought that might be ok to use too because it is so mild...
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I wonder instead of washing him which will be stressful for you both whether combing him through with a fine tooth flea comb as often as you can (multiple times a day) would be a better option?
piririot
New Cat Chatter

Post by piririot »

Yes. I think I will try that too. I will comb him through but I think I will at least attempt to wash him as well. He is a very good boy normally - I am sure he is not going to like it very much, but I think we should get through it somehow :-)
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Grace56 »

Oh dear.....good luck, Piririot. :?
jegpad
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by jegpad »

If you have any antibacterial lotions that are safe then dilute and dip grooming brushes in them. Can help to clean their coat and maybe their skin. Also wrap in a towel soaked in cold water and then wrung out. It soothes and burning sensations from the bites.