My cat won’t eat properly

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
amberosev
New Cat Chatter

My cat won’t eat properly

Post by amberosev »

Hi everyone

I hope someone can help me. One of my precious boys (he’s called Bear), won’t ever eat the meat in his wet food pouches. He will only ever eat the jelly. Should I be worried? He’s been acting quite strange recently he keeps kneading me and suckling a lot. He does this sometimes but a lot more often recently. I’m really worried about his nutrition. He does eat biscuits and other meat as a treat sometimes like pork/chicken for example. Do you think I should be worried! I absolutely adore my cats! My other cat is Oreo :) he’s a greedy monkey.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My cat won’t eat properly

Post by fjm »

Have you tried mashing the chunks into the jelly, or offering him a pate style food? Lots of cats prefer to lick off the jelly, but it can be an expensive way of providing not much nutrition!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Millions of cats lick the gravy or jelly and leave some, most or all of the meat. I have often thought they are probably not getting the full balance of everything but as far as I'm aware nobody has found any link with bad health or shortened lifespan. If you can get him to eat it, great, if he likes the pate style foods all well and good, but I don't think it's worth tying yourself up in knots about.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I have found that my two garden cats leave the shredded bits in foods like Felix AGAIL, and Sheba, more than the bits in the basic foods, which are softer

in particular Whiskas 11+ has smaller softer pieces which get mostly eaten even when the gravy and jelly is their main object

to make up for any lack of actual meat I give one meal a day of chicken thighs, which cost no more than most cat food - chopped up small with some of the jelly formed from cooking them in a slow cooker, they seem to be thriving