Cat licking herself red raw

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Cat licking herself red raw

Post by papa cat »

My girl Lizzie is licking her tummy and inside of her back legs red raw.
She had a flea infestation which I treated 2 weeks ago with frontline, so I can't do that again yet, but in the last week she's been overgrooming and making it red raw,
I have just used cat flea shampoo on the areas and rinsed it off with a face flannel, which she hated (she hates being put in the bath even more!!) and I am hoping that will help.
Do you think there is anything else I can do ?
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Re: Cat licking herself red raw

Post by Sniper1 »

It oftem takes a few weeks for the irritation to calm down after flea treatment and a few consecutive applications b4 fur grows back you will also need to treat the house thoroughly
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

I would ask your vet for something to calm the irritation - it can become a vicious circle with the licking making the skin sore, and the soreness causing her to lick. And check whether the fleas around you are frontline resistant - you may need to try a different drug next time around. I made that mistake a few years ago and it took several months of combing, vacuuming, spraying the house and retreating the animals with something more effective when it was safe to do so before the fleas were completely controlled again.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

Today she's been a lot better.
Washng her tummy and back legs seems to have eased the problem.
I suspect their are moisturisers in the shampoo or perhaps a kind of fur conditioner. She has let me stroke her tummy gently a few times which she enjoyed and the fur is dry so she has stopped licking it.
Scatttyyyycattyyyyy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Scatttyyyycattyyyyy »

Hi, I am having the same issue with my cat, what shampoo have u used for the issue as I need to order this from Amazon?
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

This is what I bought

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

As mentioned before she hates being put in the bath and fights like a demon to get out and scratches me to pieces so, If I have to wash her all over, I half fill the bath first with warm water then creep up on her in a different room and wash her with diluted shampoo on a face flannel then wrap her up in a towel and carry her into the bathroom and put her in the bath including the towel still wrapped loosely around her so as she wriggles to get out of it she gets rinsed off
I make sure I have the bathroom door shut though, as she will flee to somewhere else in the house, and I then dry her off with another towel.
Michele B
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Michele B »

I found a shampoo with oatmeal in it that seemed to calm some irritation my boy had. He used to chew himself raw, too. It wasn't from fleas, as he had none, but he still chewed until there was NO fur left!

Don't know what it was called, and cannot look right now as I am at work.

Maybe someone else knows what it is?