neighbours cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
nomadv
New Cat Chatter

neighbours cat

Post by nomadv »

A few days back, i had the back door open while cooking, and the neighbours cat 'feline', entered, i shooed it out, and whilst closing the door the cat hissed.

The cat, then continued to sit outside my back door, intially sat upright outside the door, trying to peer in thru the curtain, and then stretched it self out outside the door as if it was guarding the place.

Last week i was out in the garden,cutting the grass, and it just sat in my garden, say about two meters away watching me.

However

Yesterday i was out in the garden on two seperate occassions, and the neighbours cat noticed my presence, from his suitors garden, and started running towards me at high speed, just as i was making my way back in.

Is the behaviour a tick for tack, based on me shooing, the cat out a few days back, or is this about territory, moved in about a 6 weeks ago, there has been no issues up until yesterday.

I have seen the sed cat in my garden, along with two others, one male and another female, from the same household, and i have let them roam and sit on the porch, without disturbing, shooing or jestering them.

I have also noticed that there are now three kittens, who have started venturing into my garden, the mother is the same cat in question, and the neighbour feeds all three adult cats, just one can of cat food once a day sometimes twice in their garden.

Just need some advice on what to do next, inform the neighbour, use some form of repellent, i.e. water pistol,coffee beans or citrus, a friends dog etc, offer it food to build trust, without any form of petting

an insight into the behaviour would also be appreciated
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: neighbours cat

Post by Kay »

the clue, I suspect, lies with whoever lived in your house before you

can you contact them and ask how they interacted with the neighbour's cats?
nomadv
New Cat Chatter

Post by nomadv »

Hi, i am unable to contact them, the rest of the cats, two adults male and female will scamper, if i open the door, this one however, just this afternoon, heard the locks unfastening, and from 15metres away,ran towards me, ready to attack, it then decided to sit a metre and half away from the door.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think Kay is right - I suspect the cat got used to being welcomed by the previous inhabitant of your house, and hissed because your less welcoming attitude came as a shock. She is now caught between running to greet you, thinking you are her lost friend, and stopping in alarm when she realises you are not. I doubt she is trying to attack you - much more likely that she is reacting out of surprise. The younger cats probably have no history of being fed at your house, so are less inclined to approach.

If you do not want her company try simply ignoring her. Hissing and spitting is a protective display, warning a possibly dangerous predator or rival to keep its distance - keep away from her and she will soon learn to leave you alone.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Is it a problem if they hang out in your garden?

Please don't encourage other people's cats with food though.
nomadv
New Cat Chatter

Post by nomadv »

hi all,
and thanx for all the replies,

i have no issue with the cats hanging out, now all 5, were in there this afternoon, showing affection towards each,as i attempted to unfasten the lock,this sed one stopped the loving, and made a dart towards the door.

I am not feeding the cats, they are 95% of the time just lounging

I will take on board the suggestions mentioned and see how things pan out.

cheers all