Worms

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Olliecat_
New Cat Chatter

Worms

Post by Olliecat_ »

My cats are indoor only and don’t even try to run outside but somehow got worms🤢 we are using an otc dewormer but I would like to know how they got them, what type of worm it is, and how to prevent them from coming back! I noticed they had worms bc they’re was a lot of dark yellow small hard pellets all over their sleeping area! Since their first treatment I haven’t seen a lot but it was really bad! I tried to take them to the vet and they pooped in their carrier and there was a lot of worms still alive in their poop!🤮🤮 the pictures can be kinda gross lol but thank you in advance!! P.s. if my dog got into the cat poop she probably has them too right?
Attachments
Pellet
Pellet
Worm
Worm
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Worms

Post by Mollycat »

The dog is most likely were they got them from, I would say.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Worms

Post by fjm »

Looks like tape worms. Fleas are the intermediary host, so the dog probably brought home fleas and the cats swallowed them while grooming. I would ask your vet for suitable treatments for both fleas and worms - POM medicines tend to be more effective than OTC, and your vet will know if the fleas in your locality are resistant to any of the commonly used treatments, and you need something that breaks the breeding cycle rather than just kills the fleas that bite. Meanwhile start vacuuming, bed washing, combing, etc, etc - one or two fleas can quickly become hundreds and thousands...