Litter Issues - Tried Everything

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SK95
New Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Litter Issues - Tried Everything

Post by SK95 »

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all keeping well. I apologise for the long post but I didn’t want to miss anything out.

I just really wanted some advice please. I’ve literally tried everything from the vets to cat forums and nothing has worked.

I have a Female russian blue cat that is 1yr 9mths and was spayed at the age of 6 months that has issues with the litter box. I also have a moggy that’s 6yrs old which is brilliant with the litter box who I’ve also had since a kitten. The older cat did struggle to get on with her but eventually she calmed down and they both get on really well now. The older cat was more all bark and no bite. The younger one wasn’t really bothered by her hissing and kept approaching her. Now the older one will only hiss at her if she is really annoying her. The older one is also more of a pushover as I have to make sure I give the younger one a treat first as she will push the older one who will do nothing out the way to get it. They both play together and sleep together etc.

The blue Russian was brilliant with her litter tray with a few accidents the first couple of days I got her. 1 month later she fell off her cat tree and hurt her leg. I took her to the vets who put her on metacam for three days. I noticed she was straining and couldn’t go. She eventually went on my bed and did the slightest bit of pee. I stopped the medication and she seemed much better.

Since then I’ve had issues with her not using the litter tray all the time. I’ve tried everything. I took her back to the vets numerous times who gave her the all clear and said it was due to Behavioural issues and probably stress. I should try her on UTI foods with cystophan and feliway plugins and different litter. I found she eventually preferred using wood pellets as id previously transitioned her to catsan. I also got some new litter boxes all open and currently have four.

She was still having accidents she would go a few weeks with using the box and then randomly I would find pee on shoes bags rugs laundry basket etc. So eventually I put her back on her normal food that she preferred and stopped using feliway and cystophan.

I decided to block her from rooms but unfortunately she could open doors as I couldn’t lock the doors. I got rid of any bags rugs cushions shoes that she could access. This seemed liked it work as she doesn’t pee on shoes anymore. However she still pee on certain bags or sometimes on one of the rugs and not the other. I came to the conclusion she was getting better with age as she was going months using the tray with accidents here and there compared to before where she would have accident every few days. There’s probably places I don’t even know about.

I play with her everyday. She is a indoor cat with no desire to go outside. The problem is I can’t trust her and just seem to be cleaning pee all the time. She uses the litter box regularly and my carpet at the moment so I’m back to cleaning accident every few days.

I clean with an enzyme cleaner also. I don’t know what to do I can’t carry on like this but I know I can’t give her up. Even the vets have said I’ve tried everything.

Hopefully someone can help. Apologies again for the long post.

Thanks
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Litter Issues - Tried Everything

Post by Ruth B »

You have my sympathy, there is nothing worse than coming home and dreading what you are going to find. It sounds like you have already looked at the obvious answers.

My first thought was that she may still be having trouble peeing and if it is hurting her from time to time then she starts associating the litter box with pain, you say the vet has given her the all clear, were any scans done to make sure that there was no damage internally after the fall that could still be giving her problems.

You mention the vet has said it is a behavioural issue, have they suggest a cat behaviourist take a look at the problem and see if they can help out. Sometimes an expert can look over the situation and see something that the owner hasn't noticed or thought significant (seeing another cat out of the window, can be enough to make them want to mark their territory).

The only only other thing I could suggest is that if she has specific areas she wants to go in then either put a litter tray there for a while to see if she will use it, or try something like puppy pads which are easy to clear away. Not a long term solution but they might make your life a little more bearable, after all if you are stressed out about her going outside the box, then she will pick up on that stress and it will just make matters worse.
SK95
New Cat Chatter

Post by SK95 »

At the time the vet didn’t do any scans they just said there was some inflammation and she was all better and didn’t need any scans.

In terms of testing they tested her urine and and did blood tests which came back clear. The only thing the vet did say was that her urine was a little more on the alkaline side but not that much for it to be an issue.

She doesn’t seem to be in pain when using the litter tray. She does however sometimes go into the litter tray and walks out. She then goes to the other tray and does it there or sometimes she will will go near the tray a few time and then eventually use it.

She eats 4 times a day. I usually see her use the litter tray between 2-3 times a day to pee. She will then randomly go on the carpet in between that, but it’s usually not when I’m watching her. It usually when I wake up in the morning and I find a wet spot.

I’ve tried covering spots of where she goes but she just eventually finds somewhere else. Ah had this issue since then. Sometimes she good for a few months before she has an accident.

I don’t know how she can regularly use the tray and not use it at the same time. I always think I’m making progress with her but eventually I’m back at where I started.

Where I live it a busy road so there’s not really any cats about that she can see.

Yes they did say that the last resort will be a behaviourist. It’s just that they are so expensive especially since I’ve spent so much money on vet bills, cleaning, replacing things etc. I’m worried they won’t be able to help and I’ll be out of pocket still with the same problem. However that may be my only last option.

Is there anyone here that’s had any experience with a behaviourist and had any success? I think hearing any experiences may give more hope.

I really appreciate the reply and helpful recommendations. Thank you 😊
SK95
New Cat Chatter

Post by SK95 »

I was also recommended by the breeder to buy a large dog crate and to confine her in there for 2 weeks with her food bowl, bed and litter tray. Not let her out when cleaning trays etc. Then eventually letting her out after 2 weeks When she uses it to retrain and break the habit. Is this something that anybody has tried.

I think it would be too hard for me as I think she would constantly cry. Is is not too cruel? Or is this something that would work?
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

From what I understand, a cat does not chose to go outside the litter tray out of spite or bad habit, they don't use the litter tray because something upsets them when they do, such as pain, or they feel the need to mark their territory for some reason. Personally I would not want to put them in a cage to try and force them to use it, I would rather work out why they aren't wanting to use it all the time.

My thought behind the scans was, not knowing what injuries she suffered in the fall could she have suffered internal damage that means she has problems passing urine or which sometimes causes her pain.

I have heard that there is a cat behaviourist that you can contact through cat chat for free advice, but unfortunately I don't have the details, someone else occasionally mentions them. In the mean time Vicky Halls is a UK behaviourist that does a selection of books about her work and the cats she has had to help, if you could get those cheap they might give you some ideas, alternatively Jackson Galaxy is an American cat behaviourist that has done the TV series 'My Cat from Hell', some of the episodes and plenty of clips are available on Youtube, again there might be something you recognise in them that helps out.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I would agree that putting more stress on her through confinement would more likely make things worse rather than better.

I also agree that in her case, being so young and with this history, a scan to rule out further damage from the fall that wasn't picked up at the time might be a wise investment.

You've tried using different litters? Do you have several trays in different places?

Otherwise, it could be that since the fall her relationship with the other cat has changed, and that this, even if it's not immediately obvious, could be the source of her stress. Cat relationships can shift after illness or injury, sometimes temporarily but sometimes they need a little help from us to get back on track. Does your other cat ever 'block' her by sitting in doorways or stairs or any other strategic points? Does this one give way to the other one for food, treats or your affection? Does the other one sometimes roll in what looks like a submissive position in front of her?
SK95
New Cat Chatter

Post by SK95 »

Thank you for the advice. I did think crating her would be more stressful and necessarily not help the situation.

The vets said there was no damage to her leg. It was her front leg. This issue started more with the metacam which as soon as I stopped she was back to more her normal self and not straining and struggling to pee. I’m not sure if they did a scan on her leg but they said physically she was fine.

The other cat is great with her. At the point of her injury they were still separated as I was slowly introducing them so she was in a safe room. The older cat is a pushover in the sense when it comes to food or treats I have to dee the younger one first as she will push the older one out the way and she will just sit and watch. Also if they are playing and the younger ones decides to use the litter box the older one walks away to let her do her business. The older one mainly just hisses at her now and again when she is annoying her etc.

I did try a few different litters as originally she was on wood pellets and I transitions her to catsan no clumping as my other cat used this which she was fine with. Eventually when I put a few litters out both cats in the end preferred the wood pellets which I now use.

The litter boxes are spaced out and I have two on the first floor and two on the second floor. I have contacted the free behaviourist I hope to hear from them soon. I’ve watched many of Jackson’s video unfortunately nothing has stood out.

Thank you for the recommendation and I will look into Vicky hall’s books.