Cat ear polyp/growth.

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Audreycat
New Cat Chatter

Cat ear polyp/growth.

Post by Audreycat »

Roughly 11 year old male neutered long hair cat. He’s an ex feral and is truly the sweetest chap in the world. Approximately a year ago I noticed a discharge from his ear and took him to the vets. Diagnosed with a polyp or growth. Advised it could not be removed as a) it’s huge and b) it has a fierce blood supply. As soon as the vet placed the ear thing in, it bled a lot.
Antibiotics given. All seemed well. One week after treatment it was back the same. Rinse and repeat.
Changed vets who agreed it was untreatable and placed him on antibiotics and steroids with keeping to half a steroid every three days. This didn’t work and we were back at the vets quite quickly to be told the growth has burst through his eardrum now. Placed on half a steroid every two days. Again this did not work as on Friday I had to rush him to the vets as he was bleeding a lot with blood clots up the kitchen wall.
Seen a very young vet who kept telling me how terrible it was, how awful it is and she has never seen one before and didn’t know what to do. She also ignored his notes and hit the growth with ear thingy causing much more bleeding. She agreed to put him back on antibiotics and one pred a day until he can see his vet on Wednesday.
Throughout all of this he has been a dude. Appetite as normal, loves everyone, never ever bothered by this growth but I don’t believe that’s the case anymore. His appetite is still marvellous. He’s a big chonk of a cat but he’s become quite head shy and there’s some head shaking. I can hear fluid in the ear sometimes when he shakes. He refuses to be groomed now, admittedly not his favourite pastime but he enjoyed his back being combed. Now he despises any contact. He has also become very needy and likes to be near me at all times. Prior to this episode he was not needy at all.
He is not insured. I do not have unlimited pockets of money but I would consider seeing an holistic vet if I can get a referral. These have a huge reoccurrence rate even when removed and the total ear removal op is not suitable for him as he has early stage heart failure.
Has anyone ever dealt with such a severe inner ear growth? Any treatments that worked or helped? Did you manage to stop the near constant infections?
Has anyone seen an holistic vet? Was it worthwhile? Would you recommend anyone? What were the costs like?
Thank you for any advice.
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: Cat ear polyp/growth.

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Hi,

I'm so sorry to read this. I can imagine it's a tough time for both of you. You could email Cat Chat's Vet Advisor on [email protected] for further advice.

Best wishes