Worried about Banshee.....

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Worried about Banshee.....

Post by Grace56 »

and her refusal to eat from her dish when it's on the floor. I know she is missing her dead sister (See 'Strange Behaviour of Bereaved Cat)
Often, and with soft words and strokes, she will eat a little of her food when her dish is placed on the floor and next to her brothers. But just as often, she flees to the top of kitchen work tops and obviously waits for her food to be placed up there for her. Try again, but off she goes onto work tops.
Now, as the cats aren't mine (they belong to my niece who I stay with part of the week to mind her 2yo daughter) I can't insist on Banshee being fed on the work tops, and niece won't allow this. Fair enough, but I worry that Banshee's brother will eat her food (he has a HUGE appetite) and Banshee will go hungry.
I don't know what to do for the best for the poor little lass, and I hate to think of her going hungry as I know that that could be dangerous for her.
If it was up to me, I'd let Banshee eat wherever she wanted because IMO the cats health comes before a few hairs/paw prints on work tops.

Any suggestions for a solution to this dilemma and how to coax Banshee to eat at her place again,would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you. :)
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Worried about Banshee.....

Post by Jacks »

What about a good sized box on the floor. Might she see this like a work top? Maybe a plastic storage box or cardboard, even with a tray on top, maybe.. Put the bowl on the tray and if she doesn't go for it at first put the box on something to make it a little higher. Once she's eating from the bowl on the tray you could start lowering the height gradually. It would need to be big enough for her to sit on, and fairly stable. Just an idea...
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Oooh! Good idea, Jacks. I'll put that one to the test TODAY. :)
Thank you so much. It's the simplest, possible, solutions that we never think of.

I will let you know how she gets on. ;)
Themogfather
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Themogfather »

I dont know if Banshee likes dreamies but when my cats are off their food i give them a few dreamies and it seems ti stimulate there appitite
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Thank you, Mogfather....I'll get some of those today. I just hope she doesn't bash the wall in rushing for them....... :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

We'll....the wall's still in one piece :D and.....Banshee absolutely loves them. I'll put some in her dish this evening and it may tempt the poor little soul to eat in her area.

Thank you everyone. xx ;)