Kidney failure

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Daveuk
New Cat Chatter

Kidney failure

Post by Daveuk »

Hi my cat got kidney failure and arthritis back of his legs.
He on medication for kidney failure semintra. And for his arthritis metacam.

He been on semintra four days he only eat a little and seem to sleep alot and bit of bad breath.

I don't no.what to do. should I have him.put to sleep or wait see what happens with semintra.

Regards David.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Kidney failure

Post by Mollycat »

Hi David, welcome to the forum.

Your cat will let you know when he has had enough and needs help to go to his big sleep. If you haven't had to make this decision before it's natural to doubt yourself and wonder how you will know, but have faith, you will know, your cat will tell you when it is time. The hardest part is letting go of our human worries and anxiety so that we can hear what they are telling us. Try to relax, spend quiet time sitting near him, read out loud to him if he likes it maybe, it will be good for both of you and will help clear your mind so that you can listen to his inner voice.
Daveuk
New Cat Chatter

Post by Daveuk »

Hi thank you for replying. Just hate the feeling of being sad and down. Wish I could turn my feelings of and be like a robot.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

Yes it's an incredibly hard time isn't it. Doesn't get any easier no matter how many times we have to go through it. The curse of being human and responsible for them, the curse of having choices and the heavy burden of having to make them alone.

But it's also a incredibly precious time, if we can bear to be really with them through it, too. In my very limited experience, maybe I've been lucky, but I've seen it with people too, often there is a difficult time and then when we shift our own mind from being anxious for them to recover into acceptance, then our beloved animals come through the other side of their discomfort and into a peaceful acceptance too. Not always, but sometimes. And then they let us know it's time, and we can understand because we're ready to listen and help them.

And sometimes they keep us waiting a little while and the medicine kicks in, and we have a little more time to enjoy them enjoying life. Maybe the drugs are helping him or maybe keeping him comfortable. He will let you know. My Boo wasn't responding to his steroids and I went to bed one Sunday with heavy heart knowing I had to make that call in the morning, the morning of his birthday. Then at 4am he woke us yelling the place down for his breakfast. Two months later he put us through it again, and that time it was different, he was ready. He will tell you, trust him.