very worried about my girls eyes

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
woozy-uk
Frequent Cat Chatter

very worried about my girls eyes

Post by woozy-uk »

shes about 12 to 13 years old. im terrified that this is Melanosis . we got her as a rescue when she was 6. she had a vet checkup back in February and had the all clear. looking at past photos shes had rings there a few years ago but i think fainter. shes half british shorthair and half tabby if i recall what we were told.

she started acting off a about 2 weeks ago during strong winds outside, she seemed scared of me when i walk up to her, and has been randomly like that since. yesterday she was all soppy with me, but on an overcast day shes wary. she normally trots up to me in the garden when i get in from work or stands still indoors and lets me pet her but has been unusually more nervous. im concerned its her eyes, maybe she had trouble recognizing me as much due to a possible eye issue. shes eating well still, and runs up the fence into the neighbors garden or up our apple tree, and dashes across the garden and into the house though the cat flap after doing her toilet in the garden which shes always done from day 1. She also uses a litter tray if the weather is bad normally but has not used that in a while. shes my furbaby and i get very worried. she came into my life when i lost my father and has helped me though

many things in life. shes always been a little nervous. but not to me usually.

pics from a week ago
Attachments
IMG_20200704_185014.jpg
20180127_190413.jpg
IMG_20200704_185024.jpg
Cat-FAQ
Cat Chat Adviser

Re: very worried about my girls eyes

Post by Cat-FAQ »

Hi,

So sorry to hear that you're concerned about your cat's eyes. We think you should take her to the vets again for them to have another look. But in the meantime, you could email Cat Chat's Vet Advisor: [email protected] for some advice.

Best wishes
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

If in doubt get her checked by a vet, i would also ask them to check her ears as well, strong winds and major changes in air pressure can cause problems with the ears (if you have ever been on a plane you probably know what I mean about air pressure) particularly if they are in need of a good clean or have a bit of an infection in them. It could also just be that she felt the change in the weather and reacted to it.

If she is running around the way you say, I don't think you need worry about her sight. I adopted my Mother's old cat when she had to go into a nursing home. Stroppy was almost biind and while she did plod about the house I did notice that she had a tendency to almost walk into things only veering of when her whiskers touched them, narrow chair legs were a particular hazard as the whiskers didn't really make contact before the nose did. If you really want to check her sight get a laser pen toy, (make sure it is a cat toy one, the others can be more powerful and can be dangerous if shone in the eyes by mistake) and see if she will track the red dot, the laser pen relies on nothing but sight, no sound, no smell for her to track it by so is a good test. If there is any indication that she isn't seeing as well as she used to then talk to her more before you approach her and let her smell your hand before you stroke her, it all helps her know what is going on.
woozy-uk
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by woozy-uk »

so the day after my original post she was taken to the vets and had bloods done and came back as having an overactive thyroid, was given a rating score of 64 which i know is bad. she was prescribed Vidalta, its been tough for her to accept it, hiding it in all manner of pill pounches and other cat treats. but she seemed fine on it, then over night at 1.30 am i woke to hear her puking, was was in my room puking up foam but had been very sick downstairs in the living room. i have had to go to my stressful work worrying about her, my mums been around keeping an eye on her and changing her water bowls regularly. shes been drinking water still but is a shadow of herself from even yesterday where she was climbing the neighbors fence and had an appetite. we didnt give her anymore Vidalta today. she still regularly puking up foam. and laying low to the ground all mopy. very very very worried, shes booked in for the vet tomorrow morning im so scared about losing her before. i adore her.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Hyperthyroidism is usually very treatable by drugs, diet or radio-iodine treatment. It is very common in older cats, and most respond well to treatment - don't panic too much just yet. If you search the forum you will find lots of information, experience and advice.
woozy-uk
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by woozy-uk »

but worried why shes being sick or throwing up white foam all day since during the night
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

some cats can't tolerate Vidalta, but there are other drugs available - ask your vet about Felimazole

also 68 is not that high, so she may have been started on too high a dose - better to start low and build up if necessary
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Could be as simple as if she hasn't eaten as much because of the heat so the drug irritates her empty stomach, but if she is not herself a call to the vets is the right thing to do.
woozy-uk
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by woozy-uk »

so since thursday night she had been to the vets 3 times, twice on the friday (am then late pm) and then sat morning. friday mornign she was waken to the vets had a blood test all looked fine except pottasium levels. she was given a nutrient paste and fluids and an anti sickness injection. was told she should get better in 4-6 hours. 7 hours later she had no changes, was now drooling lots and had done a stool which looked bloody but turned out to be bile she still wasnt drinking and was still hiding and not moving. we took her back friday late pm, she had more fluids given. were told if no improvement bring her in saturday. Saturday morning, still no changes. Still drooling and hiding, hardly moving. But she was purring when i stroked her, before since wed she wouldnt even purr. Saturday at 12 took her back to the vet, she was given a steroid injection and had her blood pressure taken, which is 140. The same afternoon when back home we start seeing her pick up and walk a bit, started to drink her water then later ate some of her royal old age canin food. today shes been pretty active, head up all the time, purring, rubbing against everything, using the cat scratch post, eating her wet food, drinking and purring as well as enjoying her chin scratches and brushes. no more drooling. shes been for 2 wees since last night that we saw, not sure about poos yet. she hopped over a gap in the garden just now. and is standing up.

below is a pic of her from today. shes had no vidalta since wed morning. I also attache pics of her prescriptions up to now and her blood test from friday pm. im pretty concerned about comments on the cat thyroid forum, im a little scared as they are saying maybe our vets isnt knowledgeable enough and she should have been given anti acid drugs not the steroid, and should of been given pottasium. what people opinions? thanks in advance
we have used the same vets since having cats in the 90s, the current vets owns the practice and we have always had him treat sofina, he has cats himself and seems to know cats. Sofina often seems at ease with him too when we have been in with her.

pic of sofina from today
https://i.imgur.com/g0qHHnh.jpg

friday morning prescription-
https://i.imgur.com/SKqVy1B.jpg
friday pm-
https://i.imgur.com/dRDCvEg.jpg
blood test form 1
https://i.imgur.com/Mln3LQ3.jpg
blood test form 1
https://i.imgur.com/yStrwgt.jpg

post from the feline thyroid group with one saying she shouldnt have had steroids-

https://i.imgur.com/7E6xFf5.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MElmWI9.png
https://i.imgur.com/P4UAagV.png
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I had a cat with HT 8 years ago, and did a fair amount of research then - I discovered that it was a widely-held belief that vets in the UK were less knowledgeable about the condition than in the US, and that they tended to start cats on too high a dose

I had a vet then who was willing to go along with me, and I asked for a low dose of Felimazole, which in the States has superceded Vidalta - I regularly cut the tablets in half despite some people saying I shouldn't, and my cat's levels reduced without any problems of any kind

from what you say your cat cannot cope with Vidalta at all, so I would certainly speak to your vet about a low dose of Felimazole to restart her treatment, without any other medication
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

This is the trouble with the internet, everyone's an expert even though they have no medical training, have not seen your cat and don't have access to all her test and exam results. Potassium isn't needed if it isn't low. I'm sure your vet has reasons for giving the treatments given. If you're unsure what everything is for, or someone puts a doubt in your head, the best person to address those concerns are your vet or a second opinion vet. The internet is great for a lot of things but diagnoses and treatment plans are not part of that. Sometimes test results and levels can be borderline, or there are other factors or even drug interactions that make the first choice treatment risky or unfavourable.

If HT is left untreated it can eventually cause heart and eye problems due to the high blood pressure. Potassium is often low and if that gets really bad over a long time that can cause problems too. The internet is great for factual research into things like that but can't ever replace a chat with a vet. Is she on any other medication to control the HT or unmedicated at the moment? I would really pin down your vet for a full explanation of everything.
woozy-uk
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by woozy-uk »

come home to find out that she has been sick twice that my mum witnessed. Sofina seems a bit mopey again. she was eating this morning, now seems in discomfort again, also she hissed at me and wont drink or eat yet again. so im worried again
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Grumpiness can be a symptom of HT, so is vomiting.

If she is not taking the Vidalta any more is she having anything else or is her HT now uncontrolled?