New kitten

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Leah_123
New Cat Chatter

New kitten

Post by Leah_123 »

Hello, I got a new kitten yesterday and she hid at first but then came out quite quickly. She spent the day playing and sleeping next to me, quite happily.
At night I kept her in one room downstairs whilst I slept upstairs. When I woke up she was crying and now is hiding and won’t come out. I’m worried I did the wrong thing with her sleeping but didn’t want her to get into the habit of sleeping in my bed. She’s still hiding now so I’m just sat nearby hoping she comes out. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New kitten

Post by fjm »

She is probably out and playing by now, but I always think it is a good idea to keep kittens and puppies company for their first few nights - leaving Mum and siblings is a big wrench, and to then be all alone in a strange place must be very scary. I would put a tiny dish of interesting food where she can reach it easily, and sit down across the room, emanating as much calmness and comfort as you can. If you are very determined not to have her in your bedroom a heated pad or snuggle buddy toy might help her to settle on her own. If she is really upset you may need to think about making up a bed on the floor and staying with her for a few nights - no one ever said raising babies was easy!
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

Personally I have no objection to cat's sleeping on the bed, it's an indicator that they want or need to be near you.
Cats are clean animals and it's unlikely to make your bed dirty other than a little bit of fur

Try and imagine yourself as your new kitten. It has been taken from it's mother and litter mates (or similar if it came from a shelter) where it had lots of friends and after a short while with a new human got put ito solitary confinement. It is probably confused, upset and maybe even depressed so it is hiding away. Which is what all cats do if they are ill or upset.
What would you have done if you could have understood what it was screaming out ? it was probably screaming "Mummeee, Mummee, Mummeeeeeee!
You might have reacted differently

At that age it needs love, attention and affection almost all of the time.
It will almost certainly come out of hiding sooner or later but for the time being put it's food water and litter tray near where it is so it can eat, drink, pee and poo near where it currently feels safe.
Last edited by papa cat on Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Must admit mine have always been free to roam the whole house, in fact now we have simply removed all internal doors except the bathroom. And yes at times there have been challenges with playful early waking kitties. My approach is right for me, one size does not fit all.

As harsh and old school as I feel this is, if you are certain you don't want your cat in your bedroom, I think you do have to start from day one. We've all done it, let our hearts be melted by wailing, squeaking and big round eyes, and regretted it later. I have a problem now because my timid rescue girl first got the courage to be near me on the table when I was eating. Not a problem when you live alone and the cat is too shy to be there when visitors come, but when a man moves in and she gets used to him, then you have to break that habit and find a suitable alternative the cat can accept. Thank goodness for the window sill behind my chair.

Anyway - you're right to start as you mean to go on. Teddies and toys are good but also a special pet heat pad and a ticking clock under the bedding - this emulates a heartbeat and is very reassuring to a small animal. Playtime and a treat, then lights out and "night night kitten" and close the door ... ignore any crying in the night and do not come back for anything, or she will only learn that persistence pays.

If you have doubts or the guilt gets to you, then a kitten bed in your bedroom with a heat pad - it has to be more attractive than your bed so super snuggly, warm, where she can see and hear you. Or just outside your bedroom door, with the door open a crack so she can't get in but she is still nearby, just for the first few nights?

I couldn't do it, but I understand why you're doing it and will be interested to read what happens going forward.
Leah_123
New Cat Chatter

Post by Leah_123 »

Thanks everyone for your replies! I am feeling very bad now and like I’ve done the wrong thing. I obviously want her to be happy and don’t mind her going wherever/sleeping wherever. I think I was more scared me or my partner would squash her in the night. She is still not out so I’ve definitely upset her. But I’ll make sure she is near me tonight and use your advice of putting the food near her. Thanks everyone
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I admit i've never had a kitten only adult cats, but I decided early on that I wasn't going to let them in the bedroom at night, i'm a restless sleeper and I could see someone getting hurt, a double bed wasn't big enough for 4 in my opinion. It has been hard at times but I've kept to that decision for over 20 years and never regretted it.

If you think she is safer out of the bedroom at night then a good play time before you give her the last meal of the day will help her settle. A warm bed, possibly a cuddly toy or an item of your clothing that has been worn during the day so it still smells of you can help comfort her and help her sleep.

As for her hiding this morning,it is possible she was awake at 4 or 5 o'clock this morning, just as it was getting light and tearing around after any toys that are left in the room for her to play with, you then gave her breakfast when you got up and she has gone back to bed to sleep for a bit, hunt, eat, sleep is a natural pattern for cats, with the hunt part being replaced by play in a family pet. If you can see she is awake in her hidey hole then an interactive toy (the type of toy that comprises of a wand, a length of string and a toy on the end) for her to chase might draw her out. Don't leave that type of toy around when she isn't playing with you with it, there are plenty of horror stories about kittens and lengths of string and what can happen.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Mine have always been free to sleep where they like, which when they were young meant my bed. I will admit there are times I regret being so laissez faire - mostly around three or four am when a cold wet cat arrives complaining loudly about the weather outside and demanding the dogs and I budge over to make more room. The occasional "present" of a mouse or vole on the bed is disconcerting, too. Don't feel badly about leaving her - she was warm, safe and fed, and tonight will be different. And you are very unlikely to roll over onto her - unless you take sleeping pills or copious quantities of alcohol a small part of your brain stays aware there is a baby around, and wakes you if necessary. When I was 13 my Siamese once dumped a whole litter of 5-day old kittens into my bed, then vanished out the window to go hunting and didn't come back till morning. I woke up as she tucked numbers four and five in beside me under the duvet, but once I rearranged myself we all actually slept remarkably well!