Post op behaviour

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Mrsd86
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Post op behaviour

Post by Mrsd86 »

Hi everyone! I'm new here so apologies if I do or say anything I shouldn't!

My 7 year old cat Bella underwent dental surgery last month to have a scale and clean, as well as 8 teeth removed due to severe gingivitis. Her blood pressure dropped significantly during this surgery, and so they cut the op short and advised to book her back in for another procedure in a few weeks time to have a further 3 extracted. She stayed in over night as she was being sick and not eating, but they eventually let her home where she had a go at her own food.
She took a long time to recover (didn't eat for days, was lethargic and didnt use her litter tray for a number of days) She eventually recovered fully (ish) within 3 weeks with the help of more painkillers.
So yesterday she went in again for another op to extract, what I was lead to believe, the other 3 teeth. Upon collecting her at 5 last night (3 hours after she woke up) I found out she had a further 6 removed as the vet deemed it necessary while she was operating.
Bella had an extraordinary appetite when she came home, and is refusing to go to sleep. She's sitting under my table for a time and then going back to her food, has a nosey around, then sits back under the table with no sign of dropping off.

Is this normal? I'm just going by her last surgery where she slept loads when she got home and barely ate, but this time shes the polar opposite.

Thank you in advance for any replies :D

X
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Post op behaviour

Post by fjm »

I suspect last time she was still in pain and feeling lousy from the remaining diseased teeth - now they are gone she is able to eat without pain for the first time in months and is feeling the difference. Many years ago one of my cats was involved in a traffic accident and needed surgery. He had also broken a tooth during the accident, but the vet didn't want to do both ops at once so scheduled the extraction for a few weeks later. Like Bella he recovered reasonably well from the first major op, but really bounced back once the painful tooth was removed. I hope Bella continues to do well.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

My immediate thought is, there are different anaesthetics and given her reaction the first time maybe they used something different? I know there is one that is 'reversible' where they give an injection to bring them round, I don't know why it's not more commonly used, maybe cost. I don't have time to look it up right now sorry.
Mrsd86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mrsd86 »

Hi and thank you both for your responses. Yes they used a different anesthetic this time as she was so slow to recover from the one they used a few weeks ago.
I think she may be in a little pain still as she sometimes runs from her food when attempting to eat (she's learning to eat with so little teeth, bless her it's quite amusing).
I was just concerned that this was a side effect to the drugs as haven't seen this before, shes usually drowsy and sleeps under my bed. She's still sat upright under my table, has come for a fuss, then some food, and now back under the table. Maybe she's buzzing from the drugs still?
X
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I think it is a side effect of the drugs - I had a cat who had 8 teeth removed, and came home with a leaflet explaining how he would likely be rather drowsy for 24 hours

Instead he was super active for the next 12 hours - rushing round the house, in and out of the cat flap a dozen times during the night, and generally keeping me awake until dawn - I finally woke up to find one zonked out cat and a bed full of bits of grass, mud and the odd weed
Mrsd86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mrsd86 »

Thanks for your reply. I think it's the drugs too, as she's usually a daytime cat napper, I was just concerned it may be a sign of pain.
She's just dozed off, some 26 hours after her surgery!
Mrsd86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mrsd86 »

Hi all! Well, Bella woke me up at 6am this morning with an exceptionally loud purr - she is also having a nap right now, so think things are getting better. Thank you again :D