Best way of giving liquid meds in syringe into mouth?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Best way of giving liquid meds in syringe into mouth?

Post by booktigger »

I hide Lucy's liquid gabapentin in her wet food, as when she had liquid ranitidine it didn't work very well!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I did wonder if that would be an issue for you. Well, my problem is more having a temperamental cat!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Pippin is easy, so my method (find cat, place left hand on cat, use right hand to squeeze contents of syringe into cat's mouth, offer cat chicken in compensation for the indignity) probably seems nirvana to you! One thing I have found is that it is sometimes easier to get a slightly larger quantity of liquid into them in than just the tiny dose. Drawing a few millilitres of water into the syringe and then the medicine -it is often slightly viscose so won't mix immediately - means when you squeeze the medicine goes in immediately and by the time the cat wiggles there is only water left.

Pippin now has his Loxicom with biscuits, and he considers those a treat so comes and reminds me when it is time...
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

how about putting it into liquid rather than food - blended chicken liver or pilchards or tuna for instance - if she is more likely to lap than eat
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I put it into the cheek pouch as far as possible, rather than between the teeth, and shot it in fast rather than giving him time to think about it. We did both end up sticky a few times till I got the knack, and he was getting grumpy after a couple of months of twice daily treatment. Fortunately radio-iodine sorted that particular problem, and his other medications are all considered treats.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Does she tolerate dairy and would she eat a little ice cream or cream cheese? How critical is the dosage?
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Sorry I forgot it was steroids my brain isn't working very well at the moment, dairy could be a big allergy trigger so probably not a good idea unless you are certain that's not a trigger for her.

How about a home made kitty bone broth frozen in ice cube trays? https://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/blogs ... -dogs-cats
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

When I have to syringe Lucy's water, I try and keep her head down so it doesn't end up in her lungs
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Raych1975 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:10 am I might give that recipe a go thanks. Have you used the recipe? Vinegar?, i didn't think that could go in?, but i can imagine it just breaks down in cooking process. If i got a cooked rotisserie chicken and used those bones, there wouldn’t be many bones.. presume the carcuss could be used but would need cleaning up first?
I don’t think she had much dairy so i be surprised if she intolerant to it but u never know.
I've only made bone broth for cats once and they refused to touch it. The vinegar is to help break down the collagen in the bones to get the maximum out of them, I don't think it would matter if you left it out if you're not comfortable using it for cats. The recipe for humans has about 20 times more vinegar than that. I just use a chicken carcass when I have had a whole roast chicken, it's rare that I get a beef bone but my local butcher gives them away raw. I don't strip it any more than what I eat myself and the smaller bits I give to the animals, whatever would go in the bin is what goes in the pot instead, broken up just enough to fit in the pot. Obviously do not add salt.

One of my old cats used to drink vegetable cooking water cooled, especially pea. Boo loved and Molly loves the water from a can of tuna in spring water, that might taste strong enough to mask medicine, but then what do you do with a can of tuna every day!!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Raych1975 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:29 am Should my cats head be held up when using syringe like u would with pills? One video says to, others say not to incase she doesnt swallow the liquid and kind of inhales it the wrong way?
Ideally I would say a slight tilt - enough that the liquid doesn't run straight out again, not so high that the cat's throat is stretched and there is a danger of the liquid running straight down. It's difficult to swallow in that position too, as you can discover if you tilt your own head far back.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Sounds like you are becoming an expert! Now just the food issue to crack...
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

I didn't know you could get liquid pred.
I used to put the syringe in the side of my girlies mouth and aim upwards for the roof of the mouth - there is a little gap in there teeth there as she would not open her mouth for me. Sounds like you are getting there now though, well done.
abbyally
New Cat Chatter

Post by abbyally »

Does she enjoy the taste of the meds, are they palatable? If she becomes a tinker again and doesnt like the whole handling experience of you giving the meds, you could try a spoon with the meds mixed with lic e lix (if possible to mix with food) :D