Cone after dental surgery

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nikkib1024
Returning Cat Chatter

Cone after dental surgery

Post by Nikkib1024 »

Hi my kitty just had 7 teeth extracted this morning.. within 10 mins of being home he got the cone off. I have put it on 4 times tighter each time but this Magician keeps getting out of it.. is it necessary to keep on? He doesn’t seem to be in pain (could be the pain meds still in his system) and is just walking around the house. He did eat and drink ... is it okay to let him keep it off since it was dental surgery as long as I keep an eye on him and keep him from licking and rubbing?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cone after dental surgery

Post by fjm »

I'm not quite sure why he would need a cone after dental surgery - usually the cone is there to stop a cat licking a wound, but that does not really apply with tooth removal...?
Nikkib1024
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Nikkib1024 »

That’s what I thought🤷🏻‍♀️
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

Well, I would check with the vet - perhaps the idea is to prevent him pawing at his mouth - but I would think any benefit would be minimal. If the vet considers a collar necessary he may do better with a soft donut type collar, if he is so good at removing the plastic one.
Mrsd86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Mrsd86 »

Hi,

My cat had 14 teeth removed earlier this week and she wasnt sent home with a cone. How strange!
As previously mentioned, it could be to stop her pawing at her mouth, my cat did this upon first coming home but stopped by the next day. I think it feels more strange to them than anything.
Definitely give your vet a call l, but I personally can't see why a cone has been put on him/her.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Earlier this year my lad had to have the root removed from one of his upper canines as the exposed part of the tooth had snapped off, and all his back teeth were taken out at the same time (he has a medical condition that meant his incisors and pre molars had already been absorbed, the remaining molars were going the same way) He came home with no cone and was allowed to eat straight away. A few years ago another cat had to have all his back teeth out , he was older but started to have a similar problem, the vet told us to make sure he only had soft food with extra water added to make it even softer. He got out of the carrier and was head first into a bowl of crunchies that had been left down for our other cat, and we had forgotten to take up. he didn't care about the vets advise he liked his dried food and that was what he was going to eat. He also never had a cone on either. Both cats' mouths healed up fine and Saturn is still an accomplished hunter even though the only teeth he has left are 3 of his canines.

Like the others say, check with your vet, but I doubt he really needs the cone.
Nikkib1024
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Nikkib1024 »

Thank you all so much for your help!
Dave8014
New Cat Chatter

Post by Dave8014 »

No cone for me. Wow 14 teeth. My had 11 teeth removed. Is it normal that he grooms himself only two days after. I’m afraid of him licking his paws after using litter box and stuff. Also was your cat put on antibiotics? My cat had no previous infection. Just resorptive lesions. I went to a board certified dentist and board certified anesthesiologist.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Within 24 hours mine were pretty much back to normal, eating, sleeping and grooming as they wanted to. They did have antibiotics afterwards, even if they didn't have an actual infection the mouth has some of the highest bacteria counts of anywhere in the body except the gut, so they are often given as a precautionary measure. If possible i always request the antibiotic injection after a dental as I hate trying to open what I perceive as a sore mouth to try and get tablets down them.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

My vet gave Molly an antibiotic injection, she knows Molly by now and doesn't need to be asked.

My old Sarah had all her teeth extracted behind the canines in one go, came home still woozy and stuck her head straight in the biscuits and crunch crunch crunch.

On the other hand Molly had two removed, one right front and a cracked one right rear, front definitely and rear possibly resorbed. She took a good few weeks to eat dry food again and 6 weeks to stop needing her Webbox stick broken up. Not yet returned to her favourite toy.

He wouldn't be grooming himself if he didn't feel like it. They can be incredibly resilient.