Help with rehomed cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
gjarboni
New Cat Chatter

Help with rehomed cat

Post by gjarboni »

Hello,

7 weeks ago I decided to adopt a cat that had been abandonded nearby. A couple was feeding him and using my humane trap we were able to trap him. I put him in the guest room and he hides under the bed during the day. I have 3 other cats, who maybe seem a little stressed, but are otherwise fine with the new cat. There's a cat door that goes into the guest room, but there was a small box of kitty litter blocking the exit. Anyway, Onyx pushed his way out after 2 weeks.

Starting about 3 weeks ago, the newcomer (name Onyx) has been meowing loudly. My guess is that he's looking for another cat he used to be friends with, but that's kust a guess. Today (just now actually) he looked me in the eyes for the first time. He seemed freaked.

I've been putting less food in his room so he has to eat the food in the kitchen -- the guest room opens up into the kitchen. I did this based off the advice of my vet. Can anyone offer any other advice? I've taken a fully feral cat and turned him into an indoor cat before, but in that instance the room didn't have a cat door. While spending time in that room I saw that cat (Oliver) peek out at me after 2 to 3 weeks.

Onyx has a notch in his ear which makes me think he was neutered and then released.

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to make my little friend calmer!

Edit: Forgot to add that the cat was originally indoors, but was abandonded by his previous owners. Thx!
BryanB
New Cat Chatter

Re: Help with rehomed cat

Post by BryanB »

I think it's just going to take time and patience, but it sounds like you're doing a great job! I think once he gets used to the new environment, new cats, and works out the routine around the house, he should settle down.

I found a few good articles on this topic:
1. how to rehome feral cats
2. stress in cats guide
3. how to help stray cats
gjarboni
New Cat Chatter

Post by gjarboni »

Thanks so much! Onyx is now talking more than complaining (a distictive warble has entered his vocabulary), which is good. I've only touched him a couple of times, though. The other cats seem comfortable around him, which is also good. Hopefully he'll start to trust me more and more.

There's only one thing left that concerns me. A few days ago there was a significant amount of what looked like blood and mucus on the floor by Onyx's room. Any ideas what it might be? There was quite a lot of it for it to have come out of a cat.
gjarboni
New Cat Chatter

Post by gjarboni »

Just a quick follow up. Onyx is now a member of the family. He's the most affectionate cat I've ever owned. Thanks for the help! Here's a (somewhat blurry) pic.
Onyx.jpg
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

Lovely update - thank you! It shows what patience and kindness can do.