Please help lol

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Bigdaddyd29
New Cat Chatter

Please help lol

Post by Bigdaddyd29 »

I have an 11 week old kitten male we raised since his mother gave birth with his siblings. So today I bought new toys for them since they only had a few balls and some string I tied around some stuff. In the toy collection was some tiny stuffed animals and more balls they loved the balls played with them nicely, I put down the stuffed animals and the male grabs it and starts hissing and attacking me. I grab him by his scruff he drops it then he’s completely lovey again. I pick him up give him the toy love on him say it’s ok no ones gonna take your toy he attacks again like a wild cat 🙈🙈 so I took the stuffies away. What do I do just don’t give him the stuffies? He even attacked his siblings I’ve never seen him like that please help 😂 side note his siblings completely fine with the stuffies no aggression at all and I put many down so he didn’t feel like he couldn’t have one
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Please help lol

Post by Mollycat »

Interesting one. I think I would be tempted to observe more, but when he is alone for the safety of the other kittens and you. Could you take him into another room on his own and observe what happens when he is alone with one or more stuffed toys? If you can do this it might be a good idea to film the encounter, it can help you analyse the behaviour after the event.

So he attacked the toy first and then you or the other kittens? How long was he killing the toy for, and did anyone approach him that triggered the attacks or did he seek out a living thing to attack? Is he mimicking fighting behaviour or killing behaviour? Fighting would be probably lying on his side grabbing and kicking and biting with ears flat back, killing would be more on top of it trying to bite at the neck area though such a young kitten might not be so sure of proper killing behaviour. In other words, are the toys prey, or are they intruders?

It is common for cats that are frustrated and can't get to another cat, for example an intruder in their territory seen out of the window, to vent their fury on another cat or any other pet or human, especially if they are startled. This doesn't sound like it but attacks on siblings and you might be some form of displaced aggression, as opposed to defending his prize (toy or prey) from being taken.

How does this kitten usually play with his toys and siblings, is he all about fighting play or does he also play hunting?
Bigdaddyd29
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bigdaddyd29 »

He attacked me first because I heard him hissing and I didn’t know why so I went to pet him and he lunged at me with claws out then his sister was smacking a ball which enticed him while he still had stuffie in his mouth so he ran over and attacked her so I sat back he ran to the corner and was like he caught a real mouse and was killing it and anyone who got close he charged until I grabbed his scruff then he dropped and completely calm again like nothing happened
Bigdaddyd29
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bigdaddyd29 »

Never had a kitten or cat do this before especially being raised with siblings who all share toys and play together this was the first stuffed animal introduced tho in the shape of a rat
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

And he's not possessive over food? I have no experience at all with litters of kittens I'm afraid, sure someone will have though
Bigdaddyd29
New Cat Chatter

Post by Bigdaddyd29 »

I know so weird no not aggressive with food at all. Oh side note we did realize it had catnip in it today but again the females aren’t going crazy lol but we took away the catnip toys and gave him a regular stuffed animal he did it again but not as aggressive this time maybe the cat nip sets him off something fierce 😂😂
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

certainly looks as if he has an extreme reaction to catnip - some cats seem to be completely indifferent to it, while others get spaced out - your boy gets turned on in a rather different way :?

better not grow any or he might attack every plant in sight
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

AHA yes that would explain it! My cat loves the stuff but I can't stroke her when she has it, we have negotiated that she can give my finger little love bites though.

Could be if that was his first stuffie he now associates stuffie = go nuts time, hence why he attacked the second one. You can probably help that by giving him non-catnip toys and hopefully see his reaction to them get progressively less extreme.