Pooping outside litter box

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
giuli10
New Cat Chatter

Pooping outside litter box

Post by giuli10 »

Hi there,

I was hoping to get some advice for my 8 year old longhaired cat. A little background info: I adopted him a couple months ago. He does have two litter boxes in my house. I brush him twice a day (yes he is a hairy boy :D ). He eats wet food, specifically Nulo, and Whole Earth Farms sometimes. He always has water available and drinks plenty. He’s the only pet in the house.

So I think the issue is he’s constipated which I have tried helping him by giving him catlax everyday per the vet’s recommendation. He still has issues with pooping. He’ll start pooping in the litter box and after a few moments of being there he’ll walk away either with poop stuck literally in his butt hole or he’ll have just have his tail tucked under him. In both instances, he starts walking around the house in a “nervous” cat way (lol if that makes sense) and eventually starts pooping out the rest of what he had to poop out wherever he is at that moment. I need suggestions on what to do. I have given him miralax before and it works but I think that’s not something to give him everyday. I heard canned pumpkin is good but what kind should I give him? Should I switch foods on him like a hard food? He’s ate different wet foods before and he has the same reactions and he’s not the biggest fan of hard food so i don’t know if that would help. Any tips/suggestions would be great. Thanks!!!!
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Pooping outside litter box

Post by fjm »

Canned pumpkin - 100% plain pumpkin, not the pie filling with sugar and spices - is very good for both constipation and diarrhoea, and may bulk things up just enough for him to be able to poo more easily. I would check with your vet first, and if they approve buy just one can to see if the cat will eat it and if it is effective before investing in more. You only need a teaspoonful or two a day, so freeze the rest in ice cube trays and defrost just a few cubes at a time.

Canned pumpkin can be difficult to find outside the USA - steamed butternut squash or sweet potatoes are a good alternative.