Problems introducing new kitten to cat

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
akilldugg
New Cat Chatter

Problems introducing new kitten to cat

Post by akilldugg »

TLDR: We've slowly introduced a new male kitten to our female tabby resident, but she's started hissing and growling at the point of being in the same room - and is spending more and more time in our garden. Are we going to lose our cat? Or does this get better?

We spent two weeks following all the stuff you read online - kept the kitten in a separate room, let them see each other while feeding through a barrier, then graduated to a couple of supervised sessions in the same room where they were both distracted - by play, food, etc. All went ok.

We're now four days into them being loose in the house together. The kitten keeps trying to play with our tabby, who hisses, bats and growls at him when he does. But even when he gets hit, he retreats for about ten minutes and then comes back for more - he just won't quit trying to chase and jump at her. It's obviously stressing her out loads - she's spending more and more time outside the house. Even when we close the kitten in the bedroom he sleeps in for an hour or so and lure our cat in, she's scared to go upstairs and can't wait to get back outside.

Has anyone been in this situation and had it get better? I'm so scared of losing my cat, but don't quite want to give up on the poor little kitten just yet. Any thoughts/advice much appreciated. I know it's only five days into it, but I'm freaking out about losing my cat!
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Problems introducing new kitten to cat

Post by Mollycat »

Any time things are not going well, go back to the previous step. This process can take months but it's time well invested. I'm told boys are much easier, girls apparently are much more reluctant to accept new arrivals, not that that's any help even if it is true.

Keep at it but any time your girl is getting stressed, go back to the previous step until she really is very comfortable, then take that step again or if you can break it down even more. Think months, not weeks. Don't rush them. Every time they get comfortable, stay on that step for a week, don't just go straight to the next step the next day. It does get better but only if you take things at your girl's pace.