Neutering my male kitten

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Lottie and oliver
New Cat Chatter

Neutering my male kitten

Post by Lottie and oliver »

Hi I’m new on here but I’m a bit worried so would like some advice. I got two kittens which I thought were both female Lottie and Olivia but when I took them to the vets at 9 weeks for their vaccinations I found out one was male so he’s now Oliver. Due to the coronavirus restrictions the vets are only doing emergency ops and first vaccination and my kittens are now four and a half months old so I’m worried sick that the female will get pregnant! I can’t get the male neutered until the restriction is lifted. The girl 2.1kg so I’m not sure if they get pregnant this young or small but she’s been really clingy for the last few days and crying if she can’t see me.
Sorry that rambled on a bit. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Neutering my male kitten

Post by Ruth B »

Congratulations on the new additions and welcome to the forum.

Firstly i would suggest you ring around different vets in your area and explain the situation, you may find one that is willing to neuter the boy, the situation has been going on so long now that some vets have decided to do what they class as urgent non emergency surgery, neutering one of a pair of mixed sex kittens can come under that heading. It might be that while it is a bigger operation they would prefer to spay the female to prevent her coming into heat, or it may be the easier procedure for the boy is preferred, all vets differ. You will probably find they also have procedures in place to minimise any chance of cross contamination and infection which you will have to follow.

If you can't get one of them neutered then I would suggest if at all possible to separate them, do you have a spare room one could go in for a few weeks until they can be neutered. The only problem this might bring is a bored kitten and then having to reintroduce them. If you don't have any way of separating them make sure you tell the vets you talk to so they understand that you would do something if you could to prevent her getting pregnant.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Neutering my male kitten

Post by alanc »

I agree with Ruth, though just checking the vets websites should be sufficient to find out if they are doing neutering operations. Ours are doing them.