Brother Deceased

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
MC
Returning Cat Chatter

Brother Deceased

Post by MC »

My little 2 and a half year old suddenly died on Monday with no warming or signs of being ill. His brother was off his food for a day and has started eating a bit more today due to me changing his food and giving him treats that I know he likes. The only issue I have is that he is going from room to room and crying out which I know means he is still looking for his brother who has sadly passed away. He has also become very clingy to me so I try to show him as much attention as I can, but I work during the day and hate of thought of leaving him on his own, but I don't have any choice. I am really worried about him and am not sure what to do. The vet has told me it will take time as he is grieving for his brother which I can fully understand because I miss him too, but I don't want to him become ill because of this. Any advice would be appreciated.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Brother Deceased

Post by meriad »

It's a hard one. A number of years back now I lost my cat Chloe who was 13 at the time. Afterwards her sister (from the same litter) was very clingy and quite vocal as well and I was so sure she was very lonely and as a result, three months later, I adopted two 5 month old sisters - Jamie and Abbie. The moment they arrived home Molly went back to being quiet and the cat I always knew her to be. With hindsight I now very much believe that Molly for those three months was actually enjoying being top cat and having me to herself. Thankfully the three girls got on quite OK and I was lucky to still have Molly with me for another 8 years.

For now, try and continue as normal as you can - give your boy some extra fusses and cuddles and try and reassure him. A plug in diffuser may help him as well.

Or, if you're open to it, a new furry playmate for him?

Fusses to your boy and again sorry for your loss (((hug)))

And hope I'm not being insensitive, but do you know what was wrong with your cat. 2 is so very young :cry:
MC
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by MC »

Thank you for your advice it is most appreciated. I don't know what killed him as I was too upset to allow the vet to do a post mortem and just buried him next to my other two. I went through a similar story 3 years ago when I had to have my 12 year old cat put to sleep after she has been missing for over a month (found, but not in a good way) and her brother dying from heart disease only six months after she died.

To be honest, I couldn't face getting another cat and as you said will just try to lift his morale by cuddling him and giving him more attention with playtime.

I did allow him access to the garden when I am there, but have kept him in since Monday as I think he may wander off looking for his brother and not come back.

The only other thing that I can't explain is that both my neighbours had a similar thing happen. One cat died in November and the other in February so I don't know if it was something they ate in the garden.
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm sure his brother will get over it, but it will take a while, and giving him extra attention but keeping his routines the same will help.

If other cats in the area have been dying under similar circumstances, I hate to say it but it may be that someone deliberately harming them. If this continues, report it to the police or the RSPCA. It might be worth keeping your boy in for a while, or ideally, cat proof your garden so you know he's safe.
MC
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by MC »

Thank you for your reply.

I have introduced some new toys which seemed to have helped and introduced some playtime which he loves. Thankfully his appetite has returned to normal which is such a relief.

I have decided to keep him indoors for a while and it does not seem to bother him at the moment. Eventually I hope to leave him outside as I would hate to confine him to the house especially with him being used to having the freedom to roaming outside when I am at home. He doesn’t tend to wander that far, maybe one or two gardens away, but I obviously won’t do that until we can find out what is killing the cats.

One of my neighbours has suggested using a harness as a temporary measure so at least he gets some fresh air? Has anyone ever used one of these?
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Gosh Mary, that is a huge worry :( . I agree with keeping him indoors or cat proof the garden (if you can that is).

As for the harness I know people have various opinions on these but personally I don't like them at all. My biggest concern with them is should a cat somehow come free off the leash then that harness could become a death trap. Safety collars would at least come off.

It's such a catch 22 - I can totally understand not wanting to confine him if he's been used to having outdoor access but if he's not bothered by being indoors at the moment; why not wait and see how he gets on with that. Lots of cats - for various reasons - as we know are indoor cats and they're actually fine. The thing is to make the indoors as exciting and interesting for them as possible, ie a few higher up shelves so they can still jump; comfy cushions on window ledges so they can watch the world go by; hiding treats so they have to 'hunt'
MC
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by MC »

My garden is difficult to cat proof especially at the end of the garden as the fence is as high as it can get due to a tree that belongs to my neighbour preventing it from going any higher.

I have never put a collar on any of my cats and Buddy likes to climb trees, especially the one at the end of the garden so thought it best not to. Based on what you have just said I think I will forget all about getting a harness as I would hate any harm to come to him.

As suggested, I think I will keep him indoors for a while just to see how he gets on. I introduced a new tunnel yesterday which has holes cut out in the top which he seems very interested in. Thankfully I have various windows that he can look out of; one that backs onto the garden and two that he can look out into the street (both upstairs and down). I usually find him looking out the downstairs window when I come home from work only to be met a couple of minutes later in the hallway with a miaow probably telling me I am here and it is time for my dinner. Have to scratch his head first though. I have never hidden treats on him, but I will introduce that, thank you.