Is my kitten fading?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Nina86k
New Cat Chatter

Is my kitten fading?

Post by Nina86k »

Hi all.
Could really use kitten advice please. I’m at my wits end. We got an 8 week old kitten on Friday 31st July 2020. Since she’s been home, she hadnt eaten or drank a THING. By the end of day two, I got really worried and took her to the emergency vet. He said she was only 1lb, that she was malnourished and dehydrated (as I suspected) and that he gave her an antibiotic injection and some worming meds. On top of that he gave my syringeable food and sort of an oral rehydration drink to feed her every 3 hours. I did this and she ate ok, took it really well but it didn’t pique her interest in food still. I took her for a follow up appointment and the vet first said that he thought she was suffering from fading kitten syndrome and nothing can be done. So I asked if there was any possibility that she’s younger than the breeder has told me. He didn’t know but he googled it, checked her teeth and said she’s definitely over 9 weeks. Then I mentioned that she’d had an antibiotic injection the day before and he said ‘ah yes. Let me check for infection actually’ took a rectal reading and she had a fever. He then said it’s either her fading or a gut infection. Sent her home with various meds and told me to keep syringe feeding. He also gave her medication to make her hungry. Sort of like an appetiser.
Does anyone at all know what in the world is going on. Is she fading? Is she not correctly weaned? Is there a trick to this?
She’s good in the sense that I showed her were her litter tray is just once and she’s used it without fail. She’ll walk around and little and lay in the sun but doesn’t really play.
Someone please help. My children are already so attached to her and despite that, she’s already so loved. Does anyone know how to fix this little baby?

Thank you in advance.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Is my kitten fading?

Post by Mollycat »

I can't help I'm afraid but I couldn't just scroll on. A couple of days without eating or drinking is serious especially in such a young kitten, keep up the fluids and feeding and as for meds and diagnosis, that is for the vet. Keep in close contact with the vet.

Kittens are normally weaned by the mother at 6-8 weeks and if she has learned to eat and lap then this isn't her problem. I did have to support a kitten I had from just over 6 weeks by getting her to lick food from my fingers for a day or two - that might help her get back into eating once she is over the worst of whatever it is. Fading kitten syndrome is usually younger.

The only other thing I can suggest if you're not doing it already is to keep her with you if you can all the time, cuddled and warm, or if you can't then put a ticking clock under her bedding to mimick a heartbeat and make sure she is warm. Their body temperature is a couple of degrees higher than ours, though if she has a fever warmth would be best discussed with the vet as well.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I am so sorry that what should have been a happy time has proved one of extreme anxiety instead. Without extensive - and expensive - tests it is hard to know exactly what is going on, and tests would probably make no difference to the treatment. Your vets have given her an antibiotic against any bacterial infection, and supportive care to keep her nourished and hydrated - as Mollycat says, keep her warm and quiet and keep up with frequent tiny feeds and fluids. I hope you see an improvement soon - I think you are already doing everything you can for her.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Again I've no personal experience with fading kitten syndrome, but from what I have heard I also thought it was something that happened when they were younger, so hopefully it is just an infection and with your help she can fight it. I do know that with an infection dehydration can be as big a danger as the infection itself, so make sure she gets plenty of fluids to combat that. You already have the rehydration solution, liquid food and meds from the vets and are doing all you can for her, a heat pad to help her stay warm when she can't be with you might also help keep her temperature up. I assume the vet checked her for fleas as they can cause anemia in kittens which can be very dangerous in one that is already struggling.

From what I do know 1lb at 9 weeks is very small, from watching kitten cams, I would have expected her to be about double that at that age. It does sound like you have an uphill fight on your hands with her, and I hope that with love and care she will pull through for you.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'm surprised your vet is suggesting fading kitten syndrome, that normally happens a lot younger. Do you mean 1lb or 1kg, as 1lb is 2.2kg which is large for a 9 week old, I think the largest when I was fostering was 1.2kg (although one of his brothers was only 600g, they looked funny sat together!). However, it isn't unusual for the stress of rehoming to make them off colour for a few days. It is unusual for an antibiotic not to reduce a fever though, what other meds did he give her? She may need an anti inflammatory too. Other questions are has she been flead and wormed, as both those can be serious in such young kittens, I assume if you were told she was 8 weeks she isn't vaccinated (and breeders wouldn't home that young). What food was she eating, and have you kept her on that, or given her something different? Have you tried something tempting like warm chicken? Kitten milk may help get some calories in her, at that age you can use Whiskas type, you don't need special powder. Good luck and I do hope she pulls through
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Wrong way round Booktigger, 2.2lb is 1kg, which is why I said 1lb was small for 9 weeks, I would have expected her to be closer to 1kg.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Thanks for the correction. Not necessarily, I've had kittens from 530g to 1.2kg at 9 weeks, my vet was happy to neuter etc as long as they were over 500g at 9 weeks
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Interesting, and you are very lucky to find one that will neuter/spay that young, normally vets around here refuse to do it until 6 months, which is way too late in my mind now. What I got used to hearing on the kitten cams, which is where virtually all my kitten experience has come from, is 2lb or 2 months for neuter/spay, which ever comes second. Hopefully it means the OP's kitten is quite as small as I was imagining and gives her more of a fighting chance.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I have remembered an old treatment for fading puppies which may be worth a try - do consult your vet first: https://papillonclub.co.uk/beef-liver-r ... g-puppies/