Odd behavior, anybody else seen this?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Rrmj74
New Cat Chatter

Odd behavior, anybody else seen this?

Post by Rrmj74 »

I have a 14 yr old domestic sh. He's always been incredibly healthy. He stays inside except for my apartment balcony. Quite suddenly he started occupying odd spaces but otherwise acted normal. Now he doesn't want to be touched. He scratches at his neck and head and furiously licks and chews his front right leg. And he spends all day/all night on my balcony in the Texas summer heat. He comes in off the balcony to eat and then runs right back out. I haven't noticed any change in his appetite, he is keeping himself well groomed and when I do touch him to check for pain he doesn't react as if anything hurts.

Anybody else ever seen this before?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Odd behavior, anybody else seen this?

Post by fjm »

I think any sudden, inexplicable change in behaviour warrants a vet check, especially when it includes scratching and chewing, which can be signs of pain. At 14 a full check up and blood panel would be a good idea in any case - there are lots of conditions common in older cats that are very manageable if caught early by a blood test but can cause major problems if left until there are more obvious symptoms. I would make an appointment for him ASAP.
Rrmj74
New Cat Chatter

Post by Rrmj74 »

Appointment is made but was just curious if anybody had any idea what the symptoms could be indicative of.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mollycat »

I think that's it we don't really want to speculate and either reassure you falsely or panic you. It can literally be anything from an allergy through side effects of a medication or sore teeth and upwards. Some endocrine issues can disrupt body system balance and interfere with temperature regulation and perception, too. How long is a piece of string I'm afraid.