scratching

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

scratching

Post by catslave16 »

Hello Cat Chatters
My beloved Rufus has scratched the arms of the sofa to shreds. I don't really mind as it's old and I've been planning to replace it. But before I do, I want him to get into the habit of scratching a scratch post. To that end, I bought an installation consisting of three levels, a hammock and three sturdy, sisal-wrapped posts. Initially he ignored it, but now he's taken to sleeping on the middle level. With his back firmly turned towards the scratch posts. I try to encourage him to use it by firmly saying 'No!' when he scratches the sofa, and by scratching the post myself, hoping the sound may give him the idea. He just gives me that look. You all know that look, don't you?
Do you guys have any advice as to how to get him to scratch the post(s)? He's not at all interested in catnip. Or in the compact card scratcher.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: scratching

Post by Mollycat »

Think cat! I would first invest in a single pole type scratch post and put it right in the way of him scratching the sofa, and get some scent on it that he likes. Catnip spray could work even if he doesn't go doolally on catnip, just as an attractant. Once he gets used to the feel of sisal poles he might be better about using the others. But be patient with him, he won't understand why you are suddenly saying no to the thing he has always done. Believe it or not it might be easier when the new sofa comes, and you could use a deterrent on that to help guide him as to what behaviour you do and don't want.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

and I would suggest moving the cat tree so it is right next to where he scratches the sofa most, even blocking it if possible

that worked for me when I had this problem
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Thank you. I'll try your suggestions.