Indoor Cat to outdoor cat - dilemma!

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
gillybean129
Frequent Cat Chatter

Indoor Cat to outdoor cat - dilemma!

Post by gillybean129 »

I have an indoor cat, he's been indoors for 3 years now, and has never been outside.
The reason is we live on a lane which is one way and whilst not that busy as it's uphill people tend to speed up rather than slow down. He was adopted from CP, I was originally a fosterer until he came along and became my little black shadow. So I kept him, I now have regrets as things are taking a turn for the worse.

He is expressing anger at other cats entering the garden and directing this aggression at us. If he sees something he doesn't like he will start making a low yowling noise, make himself twice his size jump off the window and onto the arm of the chair where we are sitting, He then kind of exhales his breath in a kind of snort like some sort of wild angry beast and I just don't give him eye contact. I'm actually scared of him when he does this. He has attacked my husbands feet before now and I am afraid of if my daughter has her friends round he may do the same. he has also been known to attack visitors. At the moment at night time I ban him from this room as my husband is getting tired of it and doesn't like him anyway and fear if it carries on he will ask me to get rid of him.

So I think the only answer ( as we can't make an external run-which may make him worse? and we can't stop other cats entering) is to let him out to vent his aggression elsewhere, and take a risk?
What should I do?
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Indoor Cat to outdoor cat - dilemma!

Post by Hunnybunny »

He is displaying classic behaviour of a frustrated young cat and the answer is yes or you are going to have a very unhappy cat with behavioural issues that will only escalate. Thankfully you seem to understand what the problem is and what the answer is.

You don't have to open the doors and say 'off you go, the world is yours' baby steps. 10 mins while you have a walk down the garden and go from there.

It's just so unnatural to keep such free spirited animals confined, I will never ever understand how people justify it or walk out of the door when they go out for a plod and don't understand why a cat shouldn't have the same right to do so.
gillybean129
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by gillybean129 »

Hunnybunny wrote:He is displaying classic behaviour of a frustrated young cat and the answer is yes or you are going to have a very unhappy cat with behavioural issues that will only escalate. Thankfully you seem to understand what the problem is and what the answer is.

You don't have to open the doors and say 'off you go, the world is yours' baby steps. 10 mins while you have a walk down the garden and go from there.

It's just so unnatural to keep such free spirited animals confined, I will never ever understand how people justify it or walk out of the door when they go out for a plod and don't understand why a cat shouldn't have the same right to do so.
Because of safety....no other reason
elastu
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by elastu »

We all have different opinions on this subject and entitled to them. All I will say on this is we are the adults and know the implications of letting a little ones out if the conditions are not safe or if the cat has certain health problems, sadly our little ones are not privy to our knowledge. When I was in rescue I received 1000+ calls a month so am very aware of all aspects of cat care and I personally would never feel guilty about keeping cats in.

Perhaps you could try putting a couple of drops of Bachs Rescue Remedy a day in the little ones water and perhaps rubbing 1 drop onto each ear once or twice a day.
JulieandBarney
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by JulieandBarney »

Hi gilly bean I agree with elastu. . My Barney has the choice of going outside which he does as we live in a rural area so no danger of roads etc. . Though I see no problem if he wanted to remain indoors . . It's his choice . . He has been just as happy as an indoor cat and is perfectly healthy and happy indoors as well as outdoors . . . It's his choice . . My problem with what you have posted is that you said your partner didn't like him anyway ,! That would ring alarm bells to me . . Any decent man who doesn't like a little cat who bites his feet is completely wrong .. I take it your cat is not the size of a lion ? My Barney kicks and bites my husband in play as he does me . . It's normal . . My hubby laughs at him as he has the sense to know he is playing . L however sharp it may feel to him ,! .
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

If there is no way to make you garden less attractive to other cats - for example, are they attracted to a certain spot which they use as a toilet, which you could fix? - then perhaps you are right. Many cats survive for many years being indoor/outdoor, even in the middle of major cities and towns, so it's not written in stone that your cat will become the victim of an MVA, but the chances increase by about 400% No matter how smart and sensible a cat is, when they are stalking prey or chasing another cat off their territory, they simply don't see cars - they have tunnel vision and see nothing else but what they are after. So long as you can deal with the emotions that the increased risk of injury or worse will stir up in YOU, you will definitely have a much happier cat. My only advice would be, at least at first, only let him out when he's due for a meal and is therefore more likely to return in a reasonable time. This might help you in working out how he is getting on. Fusses to your boy - hope all goes well.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

My cats have outdoor access but as a compromise for my peace of mind are shut in overnight.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Of course, we all should have mentioned that. :) It's much safer for the cats if you can bring them in at night, and better for our peace of mind.
gillybean129
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by gillybean129 »

JulieandBarney wrote: Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:08 pm

gillybean129
  Post subject:  Indoor Cat to outdoor cat - dilemma!  
I have an indoor cat, he's been indoors for 3 years now, and has never been outside.
The reason is we live on a lane which is one way and whilst not that busy as it's uphill people tend to speed up rather than slow down. He was adopted from CP, I was originally a fosterer until he came along and became my little black shadow. So I kept him, I now have regrets as things are taking a turn for the worse.

He is expressing anger at other cats entering the garden and directing this aggression at us. If he sees something he doesn't like he will start making a low yowling noise, make himself twice his size jump off the window and onto the arm of the chair where we are sitting, He then kind of exhales his breath in a kind of snort like some sort of wild angry beast and I just don't give him eye contact. I'm actually scared of him when he does this. He has attacked my husbands feet before now and I am afraid of if my daughter has her friends round he may do the same. he has also been known to attack visitors. At the moment at night time I ban him from this room as my husband is getting tired of it and doesn't like him anyway and fear if it carries on he will ask me to get rid of him.

So I think the only answer ( as we can't make an external run-which may make him worse? and we can't stop other cats entering) is to let him out to vent his aggression elsewhere, and take a risk?
What should I do?
Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:58 pm
JulieandBarney wrote:Hi gilly bean I agree with elastu. . My Barney has the choice of going outside which he does as we live in a rural area so no danger of roads etc. . Though I see no problem if he wanted to remain indoors . . It's his choice . . He has been just as happy as an indoor cat and is perfectly healthy and happy indoors as well as outdoors . . . It's his choice . . My problem with what you have posted is that you said your partner didn't like him anyway ,! That would ring alarm bells to me . . Any decent man who doesn't like a little cat who bites his feet is completely wrong .. I take it your cat is not the size of a lion ? My Barney kicks and bites my husband in play as he does me . . It's normal . . My hubby laughs at him as he has the sense to know he is playing . L however sharp it may feel to him ,! .
JulieandBarney wrote:Hi gilly bean I agree with elastu. . My Barney has the choice of going outside which he does as we live in a rural area so no danger of roads etc. . Though I see no problem if he wanted to remain indoors . . It's his choice . . He has been just as happy as an indoor cat and is perfectly healthy and happy indoors as well as outdoors . . . It's his choice . . My problem with what you have posted is that you said your partner didn't like him anyway ,! That would ring alarm bells to me . . Any decent man who doesn't like a little cat who bites his feet is completely wrong .. I take it your cat is not the size of a lion ? My Barney kicks and bites my husband in play as he does me . . It's normal . . My hubby laughs at him as he has the sense to know he is playing . L however sharp it may feel to him ,! .