Introduction advice pls

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Sayle70
New Cat Chatter

Introduction advice pls

Post by Sayle70 »

I have two new male kittens and a 10 yr old existing female. The existing female is quite solitary but used to get on ok with my other unrelated male until we lost him a few months back. I have slowly introduced the kittens over the past few weeks and my female didn’t seem too bothered except for occasional hissing. They are now allowed access to each other and it’s going fairly well, she tolerates the kittens but tells them off when they get too close or do something she doesn’t like. At present I have kept them all inside but feel I should maybe start letting the existing female out again as this is what she wants. The only issue with this is to do that I have to shut the kitchen door, to stop the kittens getting out. They are being neutered in 2 weeks time and can then go out themselves. If I separate again, and let the female come and go, she is unlikely to then meet the kittens as she stays in the kitchen anyway? Do I let her out and see how it goes Or keep them all in until things settle down? My guess is that she will just leave as soon as the kittens are around and worry she won’t come back in, especially when I start letting the kittens out
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Introduction advice pls

Post by Kay »

looking at it from her point of view, I think it is better the kittens don't alter her usual way of life more than necessary, so allowing her to come and go may be best

would it be a good idea to let the kittens out separately for a couple of weeks, so as not to overwhelm her? and you may find it easier to get them in again if you only have one to deal with - if they are out playing together they are likely to ignore you
Sayle70
New Cat Chatter

Re: Introduction advice pls

Post by Sayle70 »

Thanks, I think you’re right and will have a trial today with kitchen door open for her to encourage her back. Thanks