Calicivirus

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Calicivirus

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello

My ex stray boy, estimated to be around 6/7 years old, came to me from rescue in January with serious dental problems. He had 12 teeth extracted in March and we have tried various ABs to deal with gum inflammation around the site of the extraction and around teeth he still has, but he is still suffering from gingivitis. Our vet sent a swab to Glasgow to be tested for calicivirus and this has come back with a positive result. The suggestion now is to medicate with Inteferon. According to our vet they stopped prescribing it a while back when, ironically, it was registered for veterinary use and became too expensive. So they are going to research which suppliers can provide it at the cheapest cost. Doesn't sound too promising in terms of cost, unfortunately! The vet's idea is that we see if Edgar responds to the Interferon and most likely follow it up with a further extraction. When I rather disloyally sought a second opinion last week before the calici diagnosis was through, the vet I saw at another practice confirmed everything done so far and planned but he did suggest that it was better to avoid extracting the canines as this is more traumatic for cats. When I put this to our vet today (suggesting I had read this on line - that probably annoys them as much as a second opinion being sought) he disagreed that it was traumatic, although he said there are potential hazards around the nasal cavities and jaw, but they weren't sufficiently worrying not to do it.

Does anyone have any experience of any of this? I know some of you have cats who have had extensive extractions - do these include canines and did you have any concerns about that? Were those concerns justified, or is all well? I note that the CC info on calicivirus does say that Inteferon is not proved to be helpful for calicivirus but does anyone have experience of using it successfully or otherwise. Any other wisdom gratefully received.

Many thanks for you time in reading this.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Calicivirus

Post by Janey »

I have had quite a few oldies who've had their teeth removed but my vet has said the same about the canines regarding the jaw, she said something about the jaw and I think she said it can break the jaw for some of the cats? I'm not certain without double-checking with my vet, but it may depend on the cat, and the vet. I do think with one of ours, all the teeth were removed, he had ongoing dental problems with tartar etc and his mouth was like raw liver so the vet said it was worth a try removing all the teeth in the end - this did solve the problem, but when a couple of my other oldies had their teeth removed the vet left a couple of the teeth in, I think the canines, and mentioned the jaw and the age and having to remove them quickly due to anaesthetic.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thank you very much for your reply, Janey. Yes, our vet mentioned that the canines stablise the jaw but if the jaw breaks - at which I gasped, but he remained sanguine - they can do 'something else' to stabilise it. I will have a look online to see if I can find a paper which I understand enough to show to him perhaps. Edgar is so young to have his canines removed if not totally necessary. I feel quite strongly I would rather the canines were left but I need to be scientific and not emotional about it with him.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Forgot to say Sarah, we never tried Interferon, it wasn't suggested. This was quite a few years back now and our cat was approx. 12 when we adopted him, they didn't know the exact age he was a stray, left behind they think. The vet actually thought he was FIV with the state of his mouth but he wasn't. We tried everything, including me having to scrape his teeth daily with some solution. In the end we went for the full extraction and that worked. Best of luck for your puss.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Thanks again, Janey. Actually the first thing our vet did when we brought him home and took him straight down there the same day was ask if we wanted a test for FIV beacuse our new boy's mouth was so bad. It came back negative I was pleased to say, although I know it wouldn't have been a death sentence by any means, I didn't want my poor lad to have that to contend with. I'll keep in touch on this thread and let you know what happens.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Meandmymunki »

Hi Sarah, my fraggle was a calici carrier and had an awful mouth, over the years he had all bar the canines removed and my vet was very anti removing them and he had repeat pain and infections with them and eventually I insisted they remove them, he recovered well and was fine for about a year then he started having nasal breathing problems, x rays confirmed the repeated infections in his upper canine roots before they removed them had crumbled the nasal bone away, my only regret is I didn't insist sooner.
I have never used interferon for calici (my older carriers were ill before it was around) but I have used it briefly last year (poor Charlie had fip and didn't make it) my vet sold me it at cost price (I'm rescue) which is half normal charge and the same as it costs to buy on internet pet drug sites with a prescription so well worth getting a vet prescription if you are going to try it. My friends cat had 2 lots of interferon injected into her cats gums and it cured him.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Meandmymunki - thank you. Great posts, everyone, so helpful. That's reminded me to say that the vet I saw last week for a second opinion said to ask for an x ray of the roots to make sure that they were all removed otherwise they can become infected. I am already feeling more confident about dealing wit this with the vet. Thank you for the note about getting a prescription and sourcing on line too. It's so helpful to ask for people's input and you are immediately reminded of things you should have thought of.

The rescue where Edgar came from asked us recently to take on another little lad from them which would take us up to four cats. I was keen to do so, but interestingly, our vet advised against it until Edgar's issues are stabilised - to eliminate any possible stress from a new arrival. We are aiming to keep his environment as calm as possible so his immune system is not compromised further.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

I have massive problems introducing new cats to my own as Marilyn still carries it and even when vaccinated they can still catch it (although will be milder) but there is then always the possibility of another carrier, carriers interestingly seem constantly contagious...... Calici virus has been the bain of my life as there is one area we deal with that has so many kittens come in with calici, nothing vaccinated from the area so zero herd immunity. :(
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

What's your area, MAMM? Edgar came from an area in Margate where apparently a lot of cats are dumped by (no racist agenda here!!!!) Eastern European transients. I don't think he'd been vaccinated in his life till he came to us. Certainly his poor start - even in foster he didn't get vet checked, through an oversight - is the cause of everything we're dealing with now. He has a senstive tummy too and is on RC Gastro Intestinal and other sensitive foods and avoiding cereals.
Meandmymunki
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Meandmymunki »

We are in Luton which in rescue is just fighting a losing battle :(
But hey we do what we can...... Ps I'm sally btw!
Please keep us posted on what you decide to do in regards to treatment as I'm always curious to know when stuff works etc and it would be nice to think your kitty could get his poor mouth sorted.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hi Sally

I can imagine there are particular challenges in Luton re kitties. Poor wee mites.

Yes, will definitely keep you posted about my boy and what happens. Hoping to get him started on interferon by the end of the week and we'll go from there.

Take care and thanks very much