Any suggestions how to retrain 9yr old cats to use litter tray?

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Any suggestions how to retrain 9yr old cats to use litter tray?

Post by fjm »

Pip used a tray without problems when he was confined after radio-iodine treatment. The instant I released him he wobbled out into the garden via the newly installed ramp and the tray was forgotten. I keep one in the cloakroom near the front door, but it is rarely used, even in bad weather. I have thought about putting a second tray under cover outside - that may be an option for yours, if they are reluctant to use one inside.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

you could try a bag of garden compost - or builders sand, which cats seem to be drawn to

if the preferred area is next to a fence or wall, a fencing panel leant up against it makes a good shelter, at not much cost
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

My experience with cats is that they will search the house for somewhere suitable and I think the only one who didn't use a tray was Henry. But I've always provided one and always would, but then I've never had a cat flap and I would never lock cats away from their toilet.

Sand, fine gravel or a bit of garden soil mixed in with a clay-based litter. Or even a clay litter with garden soil on top, also making it obvious at a glance if it has been used. I'm wondering if clumping is better in this situation as it will hold odours as well as fluids? And definitely not a scented litter as I can't think of anything less appealing to an outdoor toiletting cat.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

A garden table might be enough to create a covered area, especially if it were pushed up against a wall or covered fence. I know exactly what you mean about the poo hunting - I was out with Poppy-dog at midnight, and then had to go back to the house for a torch, as she chose a particularly gloomy spot on a neighbour's lawn.

I am still using the sack of Cat's Best flushable clumping litter that came home with Pippin from the Hyperthyroid Cat Centre over 18 months ago. He took to it readily, and it seems pretty good at controlling pongs.