Cage rest help for injured

IMPORTANT: If your cat is in any distress or discomfort, please consult your own vet as your first priority.
Dawnrae66
New Cat Chatter

Cage rest help for injured

Post by Dawnrae66 »

My cat has a broken pelvis from being hit by a car 6-12 weeks cage rest! My question.. is it a good idea to put his cage facing a window so he can see out and not feel so lonely or is it to stimulating
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cage rest help for injured

Post by alanc »

My Tilly had to have the 12 weeks cage rest (7 years ago now) after breaking a tarsal bone. I found it best not to put her cage next to the window as that could defeat the object of keeping her quiet and also could get too hot. Whilst initially keen on escape, Tilly soon settled down to cage life. I spent as much time as I could with her and my other cat Badger spent most of the time he was indoors sleeping on top of her cage to keep her company. I found it best to have two cages, door to door so that she could have separate sleeping and toilet quarters - this also helped with changing bedding and litter as she could be kept in one cage whilst changing litter or bedding in the other. As Tilly is a messy eater, I also kept plenty of spare bedding for a quick change.
Hope your lad makes a full recovery, Tilly did and is none the worse for her misadventure.
Dawnrae66
New Cat Chatter

Post by Dawnrae66 »

Thank you for the advice! I have my kitty in a spare room where it is quiet and she seems to be doing well so far! It’s day three! I visit her often and got a pet camera to watches her while at work. That’s a great idea about two cages👍🏻 I’ve been struggling to figure out changing her bedding without hurting her ! Thanks again .
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by fjm »

When Sophy, my papillon, was on strict crate rest I used a foam pad on a board when I needed to lift or carry her. Even a cushion or cat bed on a tray would work - it makes it possible to shift them ithout changing their position.